What breed is she?

This is the one! Thank you soo much! I've been looking up so many different breeds and asking so many people. I hate to get argumentative with someone I know has more knowledge about the topic but I knew I'd know it when I heard itšŸ˜
Which one? I mentioned Sumatras and a bunch of named Easter Egger types.

I see from the posted pictures that her toenails are white/pink so she has white skin if that helps. I believe the Ameraucauna have that color skin, so that's consistent with her being an easter egger based on any spelling of americana.

Sumatra. But someone is saying they disagree so maybe a mix

If the sign said Sumatra, I think she probably is one. She is just a hatchery-quality one. Hatcheries are rather known for having chickens that aren't quite right for their breed (wrong shape, wrong size, wrong color pattern in the feathers, wrong comb type, wrong leg color, missing crest or beard when the breed is supposed to have one, and so forth.)

Wrong body type for a Sumatra. They're more sleek, less rump, & longer neck. She also doesn't have the Gypsy Face which Blue, & Splash have as well as the Black.

Thinking more then likely an EE that lays white.

As regards face color: Cackle Hatchery has photos of Splash Sumatras that don't have dark faces. Since those are the photos they chose to put on their own website, I don't think they care much about face color.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/splash-sumatra-chicken/

As regards body type, I've never been very good at recognizing that, but I know that many hatchery birds have body types they are not supposed to have. It seems to be a common complaint. So I wouldn't completely rule it out on those grounds either.

And eggs that are actually white is a good point in favor of the bird really being a Sumatra. Most of the Easter Egger types have some amount of brown egg genes, so when they are missing the blue egg gene they lay some shade of brown or cream. Getting actual white is less common.

If the label said Sumatra, I would bet on a poor-quality Sumatra rather than an Easter Egger that lays actual white eggs.

She also has similarities to a bresse but comb seems too small
Bresse have single combs, your bird has a pea comb. So she can't be a pure Bresse, and it's unlikely that any store is selling a mix that includes Bresse.

If she isn't really a Sumatra, and you did buy her in a store as a chick, I'm pretty sure Easter Egger (that missed out on the blue egg gene) is more likely than any other kind of mix.

Stores usually buy from major hatcheries, so they have purebreds and they have specific named mixes, but they don't have the kind of mixes that happen if you just throw a bunch of breeds together and hatch the eggs for a few generations. There is always some kind of point to their mixes (lots of brown eggs from most of the sexlinks, colored eggs from the Easter Eggers, a few mixes that grow quickly for meat.)

If the sign said Sumatra, I think she probably is one. She is just a hatchery-quality one. Hatcheries are rather known for having chickens that aren't quite right for their breed (wrong shape, wrong size, wrong color pattern in the feathers, wrong comb type, wrong leg color, missing crest or beard when the breed is supposed to have one, and so forth.)

As regards face color: Cackle Hatchery has photos of Splash Sumatras that don't have dark faces. Since those are the photos they chose to put on their own website, I don't think they care much about face color.

As regards body type, I've never been very good at recognizing that, but I know that many hatchery birds have body types they are not supposed to have. It seems to be a common complaint. So I wouldn't completely rule it out on those grounds either.

And eggs that are actually white is a good point in favor of the bird really being a Sumatra. Most of the Easter Egger types have some amount of brown egg genes, so when they are missing the blue egg gene they lay some shade of brown or cream. Getting actual white is less common.

If the label said Sumatra, I would bet on a poor-quality Sumatra rather than an Easter Egger that lays actual white eggs.

Bresse have single combs, your bird has a pea comb. So she can't be a pure Bresse, and it's unlikely that any store is selling a mix that includes Bresse.

If she isn't really a Sumatra, and you did buy her in a store as a chick, I'm pretty sure Easter Egger (that missed out on the blue egg gene) is more likely than any other kind of mix.

Stores usually buy from major hatcheries, so they have purebreds and they have specific named mixes, but they don't have the kind of mixes that happen if you just throw a bunch of breeds together and hatch the eggs for a few generations. There is always some kind of point to their mixes (lots of brown eggs from most of the sexlinks, colored eggs from the Easter Eggers, a few mixes that grow quickly for meat.)
The female in the picture does. It is a Sex-linked trait.
I've never ordered Sumatras from Cackle, but all the one's I've gotten from Meyer's have been picture perfect for the breed.

The hen is also quite large, which Sumatras aren't.

The female in the picture does. It is a Sex-linked trait.
I've never ordered Sumatras from Cackle, but all the one's I've gotten from Meyer's have been picture perfect for the breed.

The hen is also quite large, which Sumatras aren't.
I just took another look at Cackle's Sumatra page. I really should have read the description earlier in this discussion:
"NOTE: the splash will not carry the genetics for the dark skin face like the blue and black Sumatra. "
So Cackle explicitly says their Splash Sumatras will not have the dark face.

And I turned up a post here on BYC that shows Splash Sumatras "from Cackle Hatchery Stock":
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/young-splash-sumatra-chickens-in-oregon.1522367/

I notice the Splash Sumatras in that photo are showing more obvious splashes of dark color than what OP's bird has. I don't know how much variation Splash can have within the same line of birds, so I don't know if tells us anything or not.

I'm inclined to drop the matter at this point: you think she's an Easter Egger, I think she's a Sumatra, the OP of this thread has gotten a good listing of all the reasons we each think that, and there is no real way to prove it either way.

I just took another look at Cackle's Sumatra page. I really should have read the description earlier in this discussion:
"NOTE: the splash will not carry the genetics for the dark skin face like the blue and black Sumatra. "
So Cackle explicitly says their Splash Sumatras will not have the dark face.

And I turned up a post here on BYC that shows Splash Sumatras "from Cackle Hatchery Stock":
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/young-splash-sumatra-chickens-in-oregon.1522367/

I notice the Splash Sumatras in that photo are showing more obvious splashes of dark color than what OP's bird has. I don't know how much variation Splash can have within the same line of birds, so I don't know if tells us anything or not.

I'm inclined to drop the matter at this point: you think she's an Easter Egger, I think she's a Sumatra, the OP of this thread has gotten a good listing of all the reasons we each think that, and there is no real way to prove it either way.
A spur bud count may prove whether she's a Sumatra, or not. Sumatras vary between 2-3, & 5 spur buds.

My hen has 5 buds per leg, with spurs starting to grow on both legs. 3 of each, other two aren't growing.
20240407_170725.jpg
20240407_170809.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom