What Breed Is This Lovely Lady?

She looks a bit like an Aloha chicken (maybe a cross?). They are a newer breed and not many people know about them. ⤵️
https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=30818

Just saw this mention and came here to check it out!

No, she's not an Aloha, looks to be an Old Engish Game Bantam. She has the trademark "banty-ness" to her build. However, the early Alohas DID have a bit of Game blood in them - via several mixed breed hens that I found locally (in South Phoenix neighborhoods) that I suspect traveled up here from Mexico, or were possibly Game crossed with other breeds, because they did not fit the Old English Game bantam body type, size, or shape exactly, nor did they match "fighting" games exactly either, which is why I suspect they were just "mutt" chickens probably of Mexican stock, as the families I got these original chickens from who founded the Aloha line, the owners spoke almost no english, and one family (a neighbor) did return to Mexico shortly after I got the spotted chicken from them.

The hen pictured here has a certain shape to her face and comb that is 100% classic OEG so I think she's a purebred. The reason she has so much white spotting could just be a fluke - some lines are mottled more than others - or age. Mottled chickens gain more white spotting as they age.

This super-spotty appearance can be seen in a few Speckled Sussex that fall outside the norm, and in Calico Cochins, Exchequer Leghorns and of course Alohas!

For anyone curious about the Aloha project, progress is going great and you can see a ton of recent photos on my Blog:

http://alohachickens.blogspot.com/

Below: Pics of Aloha hens to compare this one to:
DSCN1088.JPG

Last edited:
My friend has a chicken in her yard, but everyone nearby doesn’t know her breed or hasn’t been able to figure it out quite yet.
Since I got an account here I offered to ask!
So, does anyone know the breed of this lovely hen?
View attachment 1735322 View attachment 1735337

Here is a link to a photo I found online of an OEG Bantam. Check out the shape of her cheeks, the comb, etc. I think this looks very similar to the found hen:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d5/db/d9/d5dbd920d77428fff5b4c57cc840b79c.jpg

The extra spotting is still Mottling - just a very extreme case of Mottling. You do see this in Speckled Sussex on occasion. The ideal Speckled Sussex is supposed to be a mostly-dark hen, with small white spots, and too much white is actually a "fault" when showing them. But, sometimes you'll get an outlier that is way spottier than normal. Breeders will usually avoid using these hens, so the color stays kind of tamped down, but it can happen. (All I did with Alohas was look for these super-spotty ones and breed FOR this instead of against the trait.)

Here's what I found in an internet search for Speckled Sussex. Note the brighter spotting seen on one hen, here:

https://www.hotchickspoultry.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=95434341

So, I think this is a OEG Mottled Bantam, either one with an extreme amount of spotting, or possibly an older hen that has molted out so much that her white is more extreme than when she was a young gal.

FYI in terms of location, Alohas have been bred in Oregon, Arkansas, Kansas, and most recently Texas, and primarily Arizona. Some were sent to California years ago but did not really take off there. So if you are in one of the states listed, you may run into an Aloha. (If you live anywhere else - the East Coast for example - you can eliminate Alohas as a possibility because at this time I know of exactly zero that have made it there.)

There was a past post on BYC several years ago, of someone finding a "mystery chicken" that I believe was an Aloha at a livestock auction on the Oklahoma/KS border area. I sent many hatching eggs to someone near there around that time

However, if you live in any other state, other than these few listed, it's very unlikely that you will ever encounter an Aloha, unless I can get more breeders working on this project.

This year, I managed to send some MN, so we'll see if they can gain a foothold there?

My friend in NC did get some from me but she didn't want to breed and her rooster was killed by predators. I heard she did give a few of the chickens to her farrier, so there may be a small population in NC but those will die out quickly if someone isn't actively working to cultivate the line.

DSCN1454.JPG

Back
Top Bottom