What breed of ducklings?

floridasummer

Songster
7 Years
Apr 11, 2016
Melbourne FL
I bought some ducklings from tsc and I thought they only sold pekins but I am not sure if these are pekins or runners or what. Any help is appreciated.

I have ducklings what look the exact same, mine are Aylesbury ducklings so this is making me wonder if we both have the Pekins or aylesburys
1f635.png

It's definitely possible. You can't really tell but mine have pink beaks and orangey feet. They also have brown on their heads and I saw baby fawn & white runners that have that, so it makes me think they won't be all white. Where did you get yours from

I am fairly new to ducklings, but I got mine from TSC too. I know they say they only carry certain breeds, but I have learned through browsing the forum here and from the mix of various breeds I got from there, that they really do not know what they have most of the time and they will tell you the ducklings they have are Rouens when they are Mallards and Pekins when really they can be runners or welsh Harlequins etc. I did happen to get a Pekin when I got my group of five ducklings and just from that experience, I can say those ducklings have a deeper yellow to tan coloring whereas, my Pekin was a unified yellow all over. My guess is more likely runner based on what I have seen in the forums but that is just a guess. I just think that the last person you should listen to is the TSC employees. I am sure there will be some more experienced duck people on here that can tell you more concretely but here is a pick of my pekin for comparison. I also think yours stand taller and look more slender in body shape. Han (my pekin) never stood up like yours are doing now.

Last edited:
Well they waddle a lot when running but otherwise they do like to stand up and look at everything. Your ducks are cute though!
Mine are yellow and have lighter color on the necks and yellow-brown coloring on their heads near the beaks. I know its hard to see. I guess I'll just find out when they get bigger haha

Yeah I wouldn't trust TSC either. When I got my last batch of chicks there 2 weeks ago they had a bin of ducklings just marked ducklings. Someone asked what breed and the employee said, "Peking" . When the employee walked off an old farmer standing beside me laughed and said "the yellow are Peking, the yellow that looked dusty were Khaki Campbell's and the third group which was even darker, I think if I remember correctly he said Rouens or Runners. Then he winked at me. LOL I wasn't really paying that much attention except I asked him to point out the Khaki Campbells to me as I was thinking of getting two. But decided against it. Of course this was at the TSC closest to me. But stuff I keep reading and hearing tells me that the employees mostly have no idea, except for exceptions here and there. Whatever you got they are ADORABLE! :)

Just like at Lowe's/HD or pretty much any other store, just because you work there, it doesn't make you an expert. There is a lot of stuff at TSC and I don't expect the employees to know about all of it.

Some TSCs will have employees that know chickens and/or ducks. The hatchery isn't telling them what breed ducks they get, just mixed ducklings and the signs have only a few breeds. If you ask the hatchery you can look to see what breeds the hatchery sells to see what they might be.
I'm lucky in that the 2 closest TSCs to me seem to have somebody that knows a bit about chicks/ducks, but even then, they don't always know what the ducks are or the different breeds in the bantam bin.

Back
Top Bottom