What Breed Of Roo Should I Get?

TyRi

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Feb 19, 2024
Northwest Ohio
I’m not fully convinced we don’t have a roo currently but if not, I would like to get one. I want some opinions on which breed would be best for me. They will be in their run most of the time but could free range in the future especially on weekends and evenings when we are home. I am looking for suggestions on what breed would make some neat looking offsprings and neat looking eggs. My current flock is as follows:

4 Blue Plymouth Rocks
4 Olive Eggers
3 Barred Rock
3 Pearl Star Leghorns
2 Amberlink (1 I believe is a roo)
2 Sliver Laced Wyandotte

If that Amberlink grows up and is a roo then this is null but if it is not, I would love some fun suggestions. Lots of brown egg layers and maybe a white egg layer in the Pearl Stars? Lots of contrasting opinions on what they lay. Let me know your thoughts anyone! Thanks.

Would getting a blue laying gene rooster make anything different since most hens are brown egg layers along with a few white egg layers? Should I just got welsummer for some speckled eggs? Outside of eggs will there be any chance for oddball cool looking plumages or since we have quite a few hybrids there is a guess by golly what will come? Extremely new to this and have plenty of time before we start having eggs let alone chicks! Just fun to think about!

I would recommend a blue egg layer, ameraucana (not easter egger, sometimes they call them ameraucana/americana) crested cream legbar, Isbar, or whiting true blue. That will give you green egg layers with most mixes, the olive eggers chicks would be a mixed bag (maybe shades of green, maybe brown). As far as your "maybe" amberlink cockerel, if the bird has brown or red on his neck, shoulders, or back it's a cockerel, a pullet would be white with much lighter shading.

Pics of your amberlinks?
IMG_0649.jpeg

This is the most recent when they went out to the coop Thursday. I really meant to get a picture of each of the 18 as they went in but forgot.
IMG_0544.jpeg

Here they are at 4-5 weeks old. I will try to get some good pictures of everyone tonight!

When I get pictures of everyone, are there any certain angles I should take just in case anyone else might have been misgendered? Just front and back of everyone? Or are they about easy enough to pick out in a crowd?

Back
Top Bottom