What breed of rooster is most protective of hens?

Mary Coleman

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
North Eastern Oregon
I had a stray dog kill 20 of my chickens this weekend and I was wondering what kind of rooster would possibly fight off predators like dogs. I was thinking a Malay or Jersey Giant...? Also if there's no breed that would fight or intimidate predators, is there any type of poultry that would like turkey's or geese???

For protective instincts, I would place my vote for a Wyandotte roo.

But if you're looking for a rooster that can take on a predator and survive, there isn't one. A chicken against a fox, or a hawk, or a bear, or a dog is almost insured to lose the fight.

For protective instincts, I would place my vote for a Wyandotte roo.

But if you're looking for a rooster that can take on a predator and survive, there isn't one. A chicken against a fox, or a hawk, or a bear, or a dog is almost insured to lose the fight.

RIR's are aggressive as well .

Chickens are at the bottom of the food chain . A rooster can sound the alarm but against most predators he will lose.

My RIR is really aggressive. He will certainly fight anything to the death, no matter how big. He always watches the sky and surroundings while his hens eat.

Be careful what you wish for....if you want a rooster that's super aggressive toward predators you should realize that what we see as a predator might be something entirely different in a rooster's eyes. An aggressive roo can see your kids as a predator. The mailman or UPS delivery person. You, your spouse or your neighbor. This, of course, is not always the case, but there are plenty of "help, my rooster is attacking me" threads here on BYC. And I'm sure for every one who posts such questions here, there are others who don't - they pen or cull the over-aggressive roo and don't post about it. Most roos will do the best they can against threats to their flock, but that doesn't mean they are always victorious.

I had a stray dog kill 20 of my chickens this weekend and I was wondering what kind of rooster would possibly fight off predators like dogs. I was thinking a Malay or Jersey Giant...? Also if there's no breed that would fight or intimidate predators, is there any type of poultry that would like turkey's or geese???
No poultry is going to scare off a hungry stray dog...might slow them down and be the first to go.

Best bet against predators is good fencing, might need some hot wire fencing.

Be careful what you wish for....if you want a rooster that's super aggressive toward predators you should realize that what we see as a predator might be something entirely different in a rooster's eyes. An aggressive roo can see your kids as a predator. The mailman or UPS delivery person. You, your spouse or your neighbor. This, of course, is not always the case, but there are plenty of "help, my rooster is attacking me" threads here on BYC. And I'm sure for every one who posts such questions here, there are others who don't - they pen or cull the over-aggressive roo and don't post about it. Most roos will do the best they can against threats to their flock, but that doesn't mean they are always victorious.
I grew up as a kid with Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds, occasionally mixed a little with what my father called 'fighting banties' (probably for better setters?).
They free ranged. When we played out side as kids we always looked to see where they were before going outside, and avoided that rooster "George" like he was a monster.
Sometimes running up the hill and climbing a half fell down poplar tree to play in. I remember sometimes luring him into a empty rabbit cage with food and shutting him up in it all day, letting him loose just before our father came home. He would feed them with a garbage can top for a shield. My mother heard hollering outside one day and had to beat him with a broom so a guy in a telephone pole could get down, must have went up before they made it to that area. He was big and meaner than a rabid pitbull, but my father liked him because he never lost any chickens to predators or dogs when we had him, and he actually was a good father, almost like a hen showing the little ones how to eat bugs and worms.
Then one night a little bitty weasel took his head off, and within a few nights before my father finally caught it, about twenty hens lost their heads. I actually cried when we lost him.

7939657.gif
If u want something that COULD slow down a dog or a hawk then get one of these birds since they were bred to fight!

Back
Top Bottom