What breed traits are passed from which parent?

livin-green

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Clay, Alabama
I'm curious if the feathered leg gene is deteremined by the roo or hen, and if so which one?

Here's a quick run-down of why I'm curious about it....
Last spring, I let a Buff Orpington Roo join my laying flock that includes several different breeds. Several hens have been/are broody. I have 3 chicks hatched so far, and I'm trying to figure out which mix they may be. These are the hen possibilities: Red or Buff Cochin, Dark or Buff Brahma, or Barred Rock. There is an ever-so-slight chance it could be a pure Orpington, but I don't think any of the one young Orp hen's eggs where in the broody hen's clutch. I have two blonde chicks (one with a very slight red tint on the back of the neck) with feathered legs, so I'm thinking they are a red & buff Cochin mix. The 3rd one is dark (grayish black) with a slightly dark beak tip and ever so slight leg washing with no feathers--I'm thinking this is an Orp/Barred Rock mix?

Thanks for you input!!

if im not mistaken feathered legs is a dominant gene, it matters not which parent had feathered legs, it will likely be passed along if one parent has it.

I am wondering that too!
hu.gif

I have a cochin hen and x breed frizzle rooster, and also some x breed crested hens. Out of all the eggs hatched none have feathered legs, or if they do it is very minimal. I know some were from the cochin hen, I thought I would be able to tell which ones were from her because of the feathered legs???But no.....

well i hatched 6 sebright cochin crosses (seabright hen, cochin roo) and they all have somewhat feathered legs, not nearly as feathered as the cochin tho.

Okay, so I went back & looked at all my old pics of my laying flock chickens when they were chicks. I'm pretty sure the blonde chicks are the Cochin cross (possibly one buff & one red), and I'm pretty sure the two dark chicks (another hatched this morning) are the Buff Brahma cross. Strangely both those breeds have feathered legs but neither of the dark chicks have any leg feathers...
hu.gif

I know we touched on genetics when I was in high school, but since was almost 20 years ago, I don't really remember any of it! I guess I need to brush up on chicken genetics. Anyone have any good resources to recommend for getting that information?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom