What chicken is best to take showing?

Sebright18

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Sebright, Dutch, Serema, Polish, Pekin, Wyandotte Silver laced, Wyandotte Gold laced, Buff Orpington or French Copper Maran?

What do you guys think, what one is best to show at a show for the first time?

Thanks!

Why not take them all? It's only a couple of bucks per bird, and you'd get a chance to compare them with others of the same breed. If you don't know the quality of your birds, bring the best of each breed to compare, and you will have a better idea how you will breed for showing in the future.

There is no breed that's better than another for showing. Any breed can win at a show if it's a superior example of the breed.
Frankly I have to disagree with the take them all & see what happens approach. Were it me I'd go to a show or two without entering any birds.
Take along a copy of the Standard if you have one [if you don't have one, get one-you need it if you're going to show]. Look at winning birds in your breeds & compare them to the Standard descriptions. Talk to people showing your breeds. Most of us love to talk about our birds. Gather names & addresses for future reference.
When you get home look at your birds & compare them to the Standard & to what you saw. Try to be objective. You'll then have a better Idea of what you have & if anything you have is worth showing.
Going to shows is fun But it's not as much fun if none of your birds even place.

(This isn't meant to be rude, I'm trying to be helpful)

Did you buy show birds from a serious breeder, or did you get your birds from a hatchery?

Do you own a Standard of Perfection?

I suggest that you enter something and go and have a good time. It's more fun if you have something entered. If your birds are from a hatchery, I suggest that you enter something that is basic chicken shaped. Perhaps the Orpington. The Seremas and some of the bantams are very specialized about how they stand and that their plumage looks like.

If you don't have an SOP, then search on-line to at least know what color legs your breed should have. It's disheartening to have your bird disqualified.

If your birds are from a hatchery, plan to use this as a learning experience and don't get your hopes up about winning. You can go and meet people and perhaps fall in love with a breed and buy some good show prospects.

If your birds have come from serious breeders, then a quick check of the SOP to make sure they don't have a disqualification.

White birds are harder to show because they are harder to get clean enough.

Other than that, I suggest that you take your birds that are the calmest.

I agree with NYREDS. Just go to a few and enjoy the show, look at the different birds, meet people and make connections. I think it is up to you to decide which breeds you are interested in and why. Working with a breed you love will make the whole experience more fun and interesting. So of the breeds you mentioned decide on 1 or 2 to start with, try to obtain the best stock you can and make friends with others working with your breed of choice. Get a SOP if you do not have one. It is an absolute necessity if you are going to show.

Good Luck =)

Back
Top Bottom