What chicken sells best?

Egg laying hybrids sell very well where I’m from, I just raised some White Stars (Leghorn hybrids) and they sold within minutes as I listed them. I’d definitely check local poultry groups on Facebook near to you, see what breeds are going fast and which breeds listing’s tend to just sit there with no interest. If your doing a few breeds it might be fun to have some more Orpington’s or Brahmas too as people seem to always want them
How much did you sell your babies for?

I think it really is just going to depend on your area. The more rural you are the more people are going to want the no nonsense meat birds and high laying breeds. The closer to the bigger cities you have most people wanting the fancier breeds. In my area breeds bred for meat go fast. Even before this crazy year I would still see people walk into tractor supply or any other farm store where I am at and just buy the whole tub of meat chicks. Meanwhile all of the fancy breeds were the ones leftover being discounted.

I think it really is just going to depend on your area. The more rural you are the more people are going to want the no nonsense meat birds and high laying breeds. The closer to the bigger cities you have most people wanting the fancier breeds. In my area breeds bred for meat go fast. Even before this crazy year I would still see people walk into tractor supply or any other farm store where I am at and just buy the whole tub of meat chicks. Meanwhile all of the fancy breeds were the ones leftover being discounted.
I have noticed, when eggs are cheap and the economy is well, people want fancier birds. When times are hard, covid is here, people definitely seem to want more layers and maybe layers/meat birds. Thank you.

I have noticed, when eggs are cheap and the economy is well, people want fancier birds. When times are hard, covid is here, people definitely seem to want more layers and maybe layers/meat birds. Thank you.

Why not find a breed that can cover most of those? That might work. Or maybe do a few targeted mixes and keep a flock of show birds to sell to breeders

That definitely can change things. My observation in my last post is from living both near major cities (DC, Baltimore, NYC and Miami) and in rural areas (middle of nowhere Iowa, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Virginia etc.).

How much did you sell your babies for?
I could’ve got more to be honest, but I just sold them for £50 for 5. I had about 10 people reply within 5 minutes of listing them, I didn’t realise how popular they were. They were POL when I sold them but they became a bit of a burden to me as I have lots of other chickens too so I wasn’t fussed about the money just needed them collected quickly

Back
Top Bottom