What color is this hen: Dark Blue, Light Black, or ?????

ArizonaDesertChicks

Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs
15 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Glendale, AZ
This is a nice hen and she is much prettier than her pictures, but I've always been confused as to her color. She is supposed to be blue, but is much darker than any other blue chicken I've seen (but I'm not a genetics or color expert). I would love to know what color to call her -- visitors always seem to think she is black, not blue.

This was taken last February at 9 months old, right after she came to live with us
002.jpg

Same week -- Next to an EE -
007-3-2.jpg

Taken a few months ago -- She's on the left - the black chick on the right is one of her offspring:
029.jpg

She finished a molt last month -- Photo taken this evening without a flash - shown next to a blue chicken and a black one
001-7.jpg

Taken this evening with flash - (also shown with blue and black chickens - the shiny black pullet to her right was hatched from one of her eggs)
003-10.jpg

Definitely dark blue.
smile.png
(also, no such thing as "light black" - although you can indeed mess black up by adding other things. . . . such as blue
wink.png
)

Here's a good comparison of my dark blue Ameraucana:

5033981933_38e347ddff_z.jpg

Quote:
That pic is very helpful - thanks! I've been calling her 'dark blue' and even named her Midnight, but after looking at blue chickens on 'blue chicken' threads, I could never find one as dark as mine and my other blue chickens are so much lighter - that confused me.

Dark blue! I also have a girl who is very dark blue...she was sold to me very young and the breeder didn't know if she was blue or black. When compared to black, is is definately blue. She's the Silkie in my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom