What colour are my polish chicks?????

teresa-78

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
England
I am not sure if this is in the correct place.. sorry if it is not..

I have 4 polish chicks that I am unsure of the colour.. The parents were suppose to be crele

Here is mum and dad

61403_chicks_15_april_017.jpg

here are the 4 chicks.. but what colours are they??

chick 1
61403_chicks_210511_chick_4.jpg

chick 2
61403_chicks_210511_chick_3.jpg

chick 3
61403_chicks_210511_chick_2.jpg

chick 4
61403_chicks_210511_chick_1.jpg

Thanks for any help in advance
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thankyou, I thought so.. and I am wondering whether its a coincidence but 2 are dark like the dad and 2 are light like the mum... hmmm sex linked or not ??

I would say that you have Black and Blue Barred. Mom doesn't look to be pure Crele, her tail is showing Blue and her over all color is very light.
Nice looking Polish.

Chris

Quote:
Hiya Chris thankyou, yeah I thought mum was not pure, I am thinking maybe keep a black barred hen from a batch of chicks I have would this improve the chicks in the crele coloring or not?? Is barred like a cuckoo as I am not great with colouring?? Many thanks Teresa.

Quote:
Hiya Chris thankyou, yeah I thought mum was not pure, I am thinking maybe keep a black barred hen from a batch of chicks I have would this improve the chicks in the crele coloring or not?? Is barred like a cuckoo as I am not great with colouring?? Many thanks Teresa.

Barring is like Cuckoo yup.

Below information from the book Old English Game Bantams as Bred and Shown in the United States. (
00a9.png
1995) but works for breeding all Crele colored fowl.

Catlin (1991) describes how he made his own strain of Creles by crossing two Crele males with two unrelated Black Breasted Red females. From the mating all the sons were dark
(intermediate) Creles and all the daughters pure Creles. By crossing first generation males and females he extracted some pure Crele males to go with the pure Crele females already obtained.
Wolf (1991):

SIRE.....................DAM..................SONS.............................................DAUGHTERS
Crele....................Crele............100% Crele.......................................100% Crele
Crele....................B.B. Red......100% Intermediate...........................100% Crele
Intermediate.......Crele...........50% Crele & 50% Intermediate.........50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
Intermediate.......B.B. Red......50% Intermediate & 50% B.B. Red....50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
B.B. Red..............Crele............100% Intermediate...........................100% B.B. Red

Intermediate
In genetic term an "intermediate" male is heterozygous for barring (Bb). Females carry but one sex chromosome so a B- female would be called hemizygous; a BB (Black Breasted) male would be homozygous for barring.

Chris

Quote:

Barring is like Cuckoo yup.

Below information from the book Old English Game Bantams as Bred and Shown in the United States. (
00a9.png
1995) but works for breeding all Crele colored fowl.

Catlin (1991) describes how he made his own strain of Creles by crossing two Crele males with two unrelated Black Breasted Red females. From the mating all the sons were dark
(intermediate) Creles and all the daughters pure Creles. By crossing first generation males and females he extracted some pure Crele males to go with the pure Crele females already obtained.
Wolf (1991):

SIRE.....................DAM..................SONS.............................................DAUGHTERS
Crele....................Crele............100% Crele.......................................100% Crele
Crele....................B.B. Red......100% Intermediate...........................100% Crele
Intermediate.......Crele...........50% Crele & 50% Intermediate.........50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
Intermediate.......B.B. Red......50% Intermediate & 50% B.B. Red....50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
B.B. Red..............Crele............100% Intermediate...........................100% B.B. Red

Intermediate
In genetic term an "intermediate" male is heterozygous for barring (Bb). Females carry but one sex chromosome so a B- female would be called hemizygous; a BB (Black Breasted) male would be homozygous for barring.

Chris

Thanks Chris but to some this is so simple to understand, but I am one of these people who will never understand it..

What I think your saying is I need to get black breasted red females and cross with the crele male... Males chicks will be dark.. females crele... then cross the original male (father) to the female offspring which in turn will produce full crele's??? I think this is correct lol.. But I have never heard of a black breasted red female polish before.. so doubt I could ever do this ??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom