What colour eggs should my pullets lay?

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
Ok I have got 3 White Leghorns x Marans pullets ( father is the Leghorn ) and I have also got a Pure White Leghorn which should also start laying soon, or now.

Now, the other day I got 1 little brown egg (defiantly a new layers egg) and I thought, ok well then those crosses lay brown eggs. But then today I got one little white egg (defiantly a new layers egg).

So has my POL White Leghorn just coincidentally started laying at the same time or was it a 'mistake'.

So is the brown egg colour (Marans) the dominant allele and the white recessive?

Ok I have got 3 White Leghorns x Marans pullets ( father is the Leghorn ) and I have also got a Pure White Leghorn which should also start laying soon, or now.

Now, the other day I got 1 little brown egg (defiantly a new layers egg) and I thought, ok well then those crosses lay brown eggs. But then today I got one little white egg (defiantly a new layers egg).

So has my POL White Leghorn just coincidentally started laying at the same time or was it a 'mistake'.

So is the brown egg colour (Marans) the dominant allele and the white recessive?
Brown is dominant, you have 2 layers on your hands. congrats!
big_smile.png

Awesome
big_smile.png
So will the crosses still carry the recessive white?
In my personal experience when I use to play with egg colors I never got a white when crossed with a brown layer..ever...just different shades of brown, I ended up with some that were tinted but still were not white eggs. Same went with the blues, I'd get different shades of blue mixing blue and whites, and different shades of green mixing blue and browns...if I had light brown egg layers and mixed with blue egg layers I almost always got light green egg layers, with the odd time I got a pinkish brown egg layer....oh, and ended up with some of the ugliest looking chickens in the process of my experimenting...but this is my personal experience..soeone else may have had differnt results...lol

Back
Top Bottom