What combo 2 grow 4 flock feed?

amiachicknorwat

Songster
7 Years
Aug 3, 2015
Hi, Was just opening beds in garden near chicken run, looking at the dense Kooch grass, AKA quack or twitch grass, along the fence line. This weed is worldwide. Anyway, I thought wouldn't it be cool to have some things chickens like to eat growing along that fence line instead. Maybe something allelopathic to keep out other weeds from growing, as along there is also a walkway. I'd like to open the chicken coop door and let them out to feed thru the fence line. It's a deer fence, is all i know it as, not chainlink. Much Thanks, Nick

Last edited:
Not sure if dandelions are allelopathic, but they are surely prolific. My chickens snack on them in my lawn all the time. Since I have chickens, I do not use any herbicides in my lawn. I do physically try to control too much weed growth. Your chickens should also snack on dandelions as well. Most likely you do not need to look far for seeds. You would need to till the soil to get rid of the first weed so you can plant the replacement. You can also try planting common grains like wheat barley or rye. I am not sure how much chickens would be interested in those. I know in some areas near me the county or state plant feed plots for birds.
WISHING YOU BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom