what could this be?

dday6342

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2023
does anyone know what this is, one of my hens hasnt been feeling good i thought she was egg bound didnt feel an egg gave her an epsom salt bath put some vasalin on he vent then this came out the next day
IMG_6484.jpeg

does anyone know what this is, one of my hens hasnt been feeling good i thought she was egg bound didnt feel an egg gave her an epsom salt bath put some vasalin on he vent then this came out the next day
View attachment 3827946
That looks like a lash egg, sadly I know about them all too well since I had a Ben pass away from one. You're very lucky she got it out!

Lash egg. Cut it open, it's a bundle of pus and reproductive system debris. In most cases it's a sign of infection and the prognosis is usually not good, sorry to say. Start her on antibiotics immediately. Certain infections can be controlled or cured, stuff like salpingitis is mostly deadly. Since we don't know what it is broad spectrum antibiotics are a must.

There are a small number of cases where a hen will have a lash egg and then have no ill effects, but considering your hen hasn't been well it more likely a serious issue.

Lash egg. Cut it open, it's a bundle of pus and reproductive system debris. In most cases it's a sign of infection and the prognosis is usually not good, sorry to say. Start her on antibiotics immediately. Certain infections can be controlled or cured, stuff like salpingitis is mostly deadly. Since we don't know what it is broad spectrum antibiotics are a must.

There are a small number of cases where a hen will have a lash egg and then have no ill effects, but considering your hen hasn't been well it more likely a serious issue.
i hope to god her health turns atound my my sweetest girl so gentle and kind and smart to smart lol thank you

How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs, and have the shells all been hard? Lash eggs are a product of salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct. They can be laid internally into the abdomen or passed through the vent, and consist of coagulated layers of egg material. It can be common in hens over 2 years old. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin are sometimes used to treat it, but it may or may not help. Enrofloxacin 10% liquid dosage may be purchased from Jedds.com. Dosage is 0.1 ml per pound twice a day for 5 days.

Last edited:
How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs, and have the shells all been hard? Lash eggs are a product of salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct. They can be laid internally into the abdomen or passed through the vent, and consist of coagulated layers of egg material. It can be common in hens over 2 years old. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin are sometimes used to treat it, but it may or may not help. Enrofloxacin 10% liquid dosage may be purchased from Jedds.com. Dosage is 0.1 ml per pound twice a day for 5 days.
shes a year and half old when she first started laying she was doing pretty good one of my girls not sure if it was her had a soft egg then a rubbery egg then october hit they all stopped laying looked like only one of my girls was molting then all of them havnt had eggs seens

Back
Top Bottom