What did you do in the garden today?

I did rake up a garbage can full of leaves today and planted another bag of daffodils. One left to go, and a bag of tulips. Pulled a bucket of weeds and added it to the compost bin in the solar heater. The chickens have learned to love the raw pumpkins!

Rakes leaves with son. Put in tarps by chicken coops. Need to clean them before adding leaves. Cleaned one but backhoe guy came to dig out pond. Switched gears to show him what I wanted. Also installed microwave with son after leaves. I’m tired and he’s asleep. It gets dark way too quick now.
Brother brought 8 pumpkins for the chickens when he came for Thanksgiving dinner. They are happily disposing of them for me. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to bring the biggest one in his car, it wouldn’t fit.

I ordered more seeds today. I have some lettuce and carrots for the boys to plant. I ordered scarlet nantes carrots, sugar snap peas, mustard greens and more lettuce from a local place...well Tucson but not Maine or Oregon lol. We are going to make a bed using blocks and fill it with soil. I have rebar that I can attach chicken wire to so the birds don't get in.

Yesterday, I wrapped the trunk of our young pear tree with thin white cardboard. Don't know if y'all have to worry about sun scorch in the southern states, but up here, it's good to wrap the trunks of young trees for the winter. Can't wait for fresh pears!

Also, spent some time in the yard with our dog and the chickens because we're in an unusually warm period. They loved it! The pullets are doing great and getting very big! They may start laying Dec. - Jan.

Yesterday, I wrapped the trunk of our young pear tree with thin white cardboard. Don't know if y'all have to worry about sun scorch in the southern states, but up here, it's good to wrap the trunks of young trees for the winter. Can't wait for fresh pears!

Also, spent some time in the yard with our dog and the chickens because we're in an unusually warm period. They loved it! The pullets are doing great and getting very big! They may start laying Dec. - Jan.
I never heard of wrapping tree trunks like that. But some folks put wire around the trunks so varmints can't chew the bark off. And we used to put loads of leaves in a wire cage over rose bushes to help their chances of survival.

I tried to take a dead rose bush back to Lowes but didn't have the pot or receipt. So i was out of luck even though it still had the tag on it. Just planted it this summer. Boo! So now i need to keep all those plant receipts for a year.:rolleyes:

I tried to take a dead rose bush back to Lowes but didn't have the pot or receipt. So i was out of luck even though it still had the tag on it. Just planted it this summer. Boo! So now i need to keep all those plant receipts for a year.:rolleyes:

thats why I like to buy mine at our bulb center just outside of town

I never heard of wrapping tree trunks like that. But some folks put wire around the trunks so varmints can't chew the bark off. And we used to put loads of leaves in a wire cage over rose bushes to help their chances of survival.
Maybe it's just a concern in northern states. I messed up the name of it, too, it's not sun scorch like I said, it's really called sunscald. Basically, when the bark of the dormant tree warms up during the day from the sun shining on it, it can reactivate the cells in the trunk, then at night when it gets cold, the cells are unable to return to dormancy quickly enough, and the colder temps can kill the active cells. The bark of the tree can also split, as well. This most often happens to young trees with thin bark. By wrapping the trunk in white paper or thin cardboard, it reflects the heat of the sun off the tree trunk, thus saving the tree from sunscald. Don't want to lose our young pear tree - we want some pears! :drool

Back
Top Bottom