What did you do in the garden today?

I opened a can of Glory Southern Style Collard Greens today and mixed in some fresh Prism Kale from my Kratky buckets.
It's basically simmered in a sweet ham broth and the Kale is chopped and diced into pieces. I decided to thicken the broth with corn starch and threw in some chopped up whole ham.
Sounds good, I added the collards to Wednesday's shopping list. I love making them from scratch but it just takes so long.
I fed my last collard plant to the flock today.
Spent greens are such a treat, they make the girls so freaking happy.

Stuff DS brought home in open top bins is mostly lost to the mice. UNBELIEVABLE the mess they make and the damage they cause.
So true. My mom had some mice in her basement a few years ago. Exterminator in, with follow up visits. No more mice…except, the storage room (large one) in her basement was never cleaned out. We tried to clean it out for her years before any mice issues but she just wouldn’t let us go through the stuff. Still won’t let us go through the stuff.

I believe positive thoughts can have a definite effect on our physical form.
Very true. I had a job in a negative environment once. Every day seemed like a month long. Time to change passwords came around, it was frequently required, and I decided to use positive type passwords for the new passwords. I had to type these passwords in multiple times a day, and it was actually a positive thing to do-a frequent positive boost in my very long days there.

Well, it's not really a greenhouse. I have 4x8 raised garden beds. I added PVC pipe to make hoops to support 10' wide poly sheeting. I also have a 1x2 across the top of the PVC to support overhead sprinklers if needed but I didn't need that for structure.
I can cover all six of my beds if I desire. I currently only have the one done up to protect my seedlings and whatever plants I will inevitably impulse buy from the local college plant sales in a few weeks.

View attachment 3781063View attachment 3781064View attachment 3781062
ETA: the clamps are from Home Cheapo, the bag is like 9$. The galvanized pipe holders are for 3/4" PVC, they come in bags of 10 for like 4$. The PVC hoops are 8' long 1/2".
Thanks I might try this setup look very nice.

I switched to PEX tubing. It's strong but more forgiving to the bending than the PVC, also less expensive. You can use pvc stubs and u-clips for the pvc, to hold the pex at the wood frame. And if you want to connect all the PEX together at the top, you can zip tie a 1/2 inch pvc pipe at the peak.

I switched to PEX tubing. It's strong but more forgiving to the bending than the PVC, also less expensive. You can use pvc stubs and u-clips for the pvc, to hold the pex at the wood frame. And if you want to connect all the PEX together at the top, you can zip tie a 1/2 inch pvc pipe at the peak.
Thanks I’ve always wanted a very small green house next to the garden. I may have to try building one this fall. Thanks for sharing.

I have lots of pex laying around. I think it's on par with PVC for flex except the UV stability of pex is less than half of PVC. So, I use PVC. I can leave it out for years and years without issue. PEX, only lives for 5 years tops in the sun. I literally deal with UV stability every day for my job. I'm constantly telling people to put UV rated split loom over cables. Lol. I love PEX, but not for this application.

Eta: I leave my PVC in the sun for 10+ years and it isn't breaking. PEX, 5 years and it's breaking into bits.

I have lots of pex laying around. I think it's on par with PVC for flex except the UV stability of pex is less than half of PVC. So, I use PVC. I can leave it out for years and years without issue. PEX, only lives for 5 years tops in the sun. I literally deal with UV stability every day for my job. I'm constantly telling people to put UV rated split loom over cables. Lol. I love PEX, but not for this application.

Eta: I leave my PVC in the sun for 10+ years and it isn't breaking. PEX, 5 years and it's breaking into

Oh! Also, on half of my garden beds I used 2" PVC to hold the 1/2" bows (hoops) so my patio umbrella fits in them. So I can use them in the summer to keep me cool in our 105° weather.

I make batches, usually 3 gallons at a time, every two weeks. I bottle and do a secondary ferment, mixing in 1/4 cup sour cherry juice per bottle. Love that stuff. I can drink all of it by myself, too; hubby is not a fan.
I tried it, but there were 2 buts…..first of all, even though I love the taste of tea, I can’t drink it after 3 pm cos then I can’t sleep, have trouble sleeping anyways 🤷🏻‍♀️ the 2. problem was that I had mold trouble, I sterilized everything, but still, mold showed up after 2 weeks, no matter what I did, maybe I put too little sugar in 🤔 but I don’t want too much sugar in my fluids since I love eating sweets and have to watch out how much I take in , not good for my joints

Back
Top Bottom