What did you do with your flock today?

Hops doing ok so far. His whole focus is on trying to stand. Unfortunately he rolls onto his bad side a bit and kicks with his one leg so he ends up spinning circles. I'm worried that legs going to splay because it's never up under him, but ends up jutting to the side. So I made him a sleeping bowl using my shredded paper and it keeps his body and leg in the right position and lets him excersize it. He's propping his wing up on the edge of the bowl on his bad side and bounces up and down with all his heart. As long as I can get him to eat he should have a strong leg soon, and in the right position to give him a chance of standing on his own.

I turned my empty incubator into a brooder box for him since he can't move in and out of a heat lamp. So he's got a stable temp to help him. Every couple hours I hold him for a bit to try to get food and water in him. His focus is all on standing though and he's not pecking or trying to eat at all. So syringe feeding him after giving him time and encouragement to self feed. He seems to be handling that well and so far no oops aspiration 🤞.

I don't feel any movement from that lump in his abdomen but I don't know if that means his foots not moving or if it just means it's too deep to feel anything except that it's there. Hope it's not moving.

I haven't done any reading yet to see if I can find any cases of birds like him. I can't even imagine how that happened and he made it to hatch. But so far he's still a vigorous baby. He's a little messy from my feedings and still trying to stick that foot sideways, but he loves standing with a little help.
20231110_204002.jpg

I missed going out today and being in the coops. Tomorrow I'm going with Ma and at least let the kids know I'm still kicking. As she goes from coop to coop she has an entourage that goes with her hoping for treats that might be forthcoming. These are from the last hatch in May and a few that were ordered at the same time. There must be 20-25 that stay on her heels. I think Ma wants me to distract them so she can get the feed and water taking care of instead of stepping over little boys and girls wanting attention.

@TropicalBabies im sad for you that you had to sell Hombre because I know how very hard that is…but glad you are able to see the bright side with the new bike 😊
Hombre is still in our pasture and we are still caring for him. At least till the end of the month. Not sure if he will be staying in that pasture still or moving to greener ones on the other side of the isle. So, I think it just has not hit me yet... when I do think about it I know it is for the better. Hombre deserves young people and I really liked their kindness. My husband CAN NOT get tossed off a horse again, so removing temptation.
50309.jpeg

The bike has been a few months coming. Lots of research and chatter about it. I ride much more than my husband does and he knows I'm ready for an upgrade. I'm really thrilled he is supportive and even instigating this upgrade. Maybe he took out a big life insurance policy out on me 😅 I was pretty mad at him for getting hurt again... 😖

I feel like our life got stuck in second gear. Caring for horses takes an enormous amount of time and really has dictated our last 12 years. A lot of fun adventures, but almost a full time job that sucks your money. Even mowing the lawn id have to move the horse trailer by hand 😆 that gets old. So, yeah, it's like a new chapter or finally getting into 3rd gear. We will always be able to go visit and even ride. Not my husband though, lol. He's grounded.

Last edited:
Well...I have a little chick that had something go wrong in the egg. At first I thought it hatched with one leg missing and since it was from a sibling hatching which is a no no, I thought it was my first genetic mishap. I don't usually breed siblings but this time was to try to see what recessive genes I have in my blues that produced only three babies in silver color...I've read silver looks can be caused by genes besides silver. But closer inspection shows it's whole leg is there, but disappears back into its body at the umbilical cord. I can feel the hard lump of its leg inside its abdomen on that side. For now it's strong and vigorous so I didn't put it down. I'm very uncertain how it'll do over the long run but think I'm going to help it try. It's leg enters the abdomen just barely past the elbow. View attachment 3682117
I'm hoping it's leg will shrivel off at the elbow there and it's body will rebsorb or calcify the foot caught inside. I know that's possible...I don't know if it's likely though 😕. But for now it's healthy and it very much wants to live. I named it Hopalong Cassidy. With all that white fluff it rather reminds me of the fellow who used to play the character.
Wish the little one some much needed good luck, and if anyone has any experience with one legged chickens I'd sure love to hear about them!
I'm wishing that little fighter all the love and luck in the world. The little fluff deserves a chance, it's brilliant you're willing to give it one ❤
No direct experience with one-legged chickens but I know they can do very well.

I'm at one of the worst moments as a chicken keeper. One of my hens had emergency surgery on a prolapse (AGAIN!) and she is hospitalized.

While I wait for the doctor to tell me how she's doing, I'm spending some time with the rest of the flock. I kinda need to remind myself why I do this, why I love them so much - even when loving them can hurt so much.

View attachment 3682157
I've lost my hug emoji but I'm sending you loads of love and hugs.

IKR?? But this one is expensive (hospitalization is expensive) and is far from me and, Gosh, I took my hen there on an Uber, then I ran out of money and went back home in a bus in the middle of the night.

Just thinking about going back there (because I must pick her up if she survives) stresses the hell out of me.

But I couldn't do anything else, I couldn't let her die.

And now, if she recovers, she must go back there for neutering in about 10 days... Until then I must make sure she doesn't lay an egg and ruin it all...

I'm exhausted, guys, I'm literally having a mental breakdown and I'm alone in this. My family is not supportive of my decisions, even though it's my money and not theirs, they think I went too far with this chicken...
I think you are doing the best you can for her and that's all that matters. I'm sure i speak for everyone on here in saying you have our full support.
Salpingohysterectomy is a relatively speedy surgery and usually well tolerated by otherwise healthy birds. It sounds like the best option for your girl given she is repeatedly prolapsing.
When you get her back pre-surgery you could give her extra vitamin C as it aids in tissue recovery and improves collagen, her body will just expell any it doesn't need. As you know, low lighting and a corn only diet will help her come off lay.
It's brilliant you've found a vet willing to help but why are they not immediately neutering her as an emergency and making her(and you!) wait 10 days. Is there some other complication?

Last edited:
I think you are doing the best you can for her and that's all that matters. I'm sure i speak for everyone on here in saying you have our full support.
Salpingohysterectomy is a relatively speedy surgery and usually well tolerated by otherwise healthy birds. It sounds like the best option for your girl given she is repeatedly prolapsing.

Yes but she must recover from the prolapse surgery first, and right now she is barely eating, drinking, and pooping by herself. 😔

I don't understand why that ****ing diarrhea won't go away

Last edited:
When you get her back pre-surgery you could give her extra vitamin C as it aids in tissue recovery and improves collagen, her body will just expell any it doesn't need. As you know, low lighting and a corn only diet will help her come off lay.
It's brilliant you've found a vet willing to help but why are they not immediately neutering her as an emergency and making her(and you!) wait 10 days. Is there some other complication?

Yes, there were complications. It was not just a "get the prolapse back in" surgery like the previous time.

The previous time, the surgery was done with local anesthesia and it lasted 10 minutes.

This one was done with complete anesthesia (inhaled) and lasted 40 minutes.

This is because the doctor examined her prolapsed tissues and found that her oviduct had ruptured. There was a perforation in it. They had to repair that. They called it "tissue amputation".

There was also necrotic tissue from the previous time. She hadn't healed properly, so they removed that, too.

That is why she is having such a hard time recovering.

I've heard different medical criteria but all vets agree in that it is not the best moment to put her through another surgery, that is why they want to wait until she is stable - to make sure that she can survive the castration.

In the meantime, I am terrified, but will do my best to keep alive and not laying.

Yes but she must recover from the prolapse surgery first, and right now she is barely eating, drinking, and popping by herself. 😔

I don't understand why that ****ing diarrhea won't go away
Is this the previous prolapse surgery or a new surgery?

Have you got her on pre and probiotics?
I also give my chickens bentonite or Montmorillonite green clay (food grade) to help digestive issues. It's brilliant stuff as it binds and expells toxins alongside many other benefits. It is also high in silica and supports fascia and connective tissue development.
I usually just mix the powder with the morning feed. With a really sick chicken, I mix 1tbsp of the clay with 4oz of filtered water, let it stand overnight and then carefully syringe feed a small amount the next morning. I don't give any food or meds for at least 2 hrs after.
You have to be cautious though as clay can dehydrate them so ensure they have adequate water. There's no limit to how long you can use the clay for but obviously if it's not helping, stop.

One note of caution. Use the highest food grade clay you can get, as depending on where it's excavated, it can be contaminated with various heavy metals. If it's food grade clay it won't be.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom