What did you do with your flock today?

It’s so interesting that your ODs are crazy broody! Mine ladies have zero interest in babies! They’re quite content laying and going about their days 😆
That is interesting! I just assumed yours would be the same. There's only one other lady I've talked to much about her dwarfs and her only adult hen keeps going broody too. I take their eggs daily and they still go broody without eggs. Maybe it means my nest boxes are too warm?

@Smokerbill i am so sorry for your loss. I think you have handled it gallantly. Your necropsy and discovery sounds thorough and well done. Your baby lived a charmed life and hid her illness well. You did all you could do for her even in death :hugs 💕

@ChicksnMore I'm sorry about Hops. I wonder if he has an infection. Taking him on was a long shot, one I probably would have taken too, to see if it could play out well in the end. Be gentle with yourself. You always give your best and are very commendable and impressive. 🤗🤗🤗 💕

@PopoMyers , you are amazing! Tending to and healing your very wounded chicken (😄I knew you could do it!!!) I'm impressed!!! Bravo♡♡
Also, taking on and deboning a turkey... how'd it come out, was it worth the efforts and would you do it again?

@kurby22 You have some serious showing momentum going. Looking forward to photos and stories of this year's successes and lessons applied. I have no idea where you are able to fit in another breed 😂 let alone beeeebies! I just know that I don't have your energy and organizational skills or patience. I could not do all of that with kids, soccer, ft job, hubby and all of the travel inbetween. Id need a nap. You must make some REALLY GOOD coffee and take vitamins.

Nice lively crowd on this thread. I am enjoying reading everyone's posts ♡♡

Almost every night I have to pull that feral broody out of a nest box. I'd pull fake eggs but she would just go to the next box. So, it is a battle of time. Bless her little heart, but it's a no camping zone!

I made the decision to bring the fosters inside the house for more forced human interaction. So, I layed low and hung out in the house much of yesterday. It is going well but I can tell this will take some time. They are playing up a storm, just with each other, not humans. They have the noises and furniture down though. Been running around like squirrels since 4am and have filled 2 cat boxes. Oh the smell! First light I am replacing them with fresh ones.
Highlights, besides the endless hours of poop and play. A soccer game.
20231124_092555.jpg
New things to climb.
20231124_095613.jpg
20231124_171105.jpg

Nap buddies and favorite locations.
20231124_113721.jpg
20231124_152758.jpg

Think I will do this for another few days. The orange kitties, Shelly and Kanani will be flying out next. I want to make sure their sweet shy selves are ready.

I've split the condo and will intro Waihona to the other kitties in the next few days or after I bring the babies back out to their condo - when I can't take the smell of litter boxes anymore or they are too rowdy - I need Makani and Waihona (brother and sister) to rebond and pair up. I hope for them to be travel and adoption buddies and also, my once shy Makani will help to socialize my very shy Waihona 🤞

Chickens are perfect awesome. I've been keeping the run gate open for home flock so the can freely freerange. They are giving me a consistent 5 eggs a day on average so far. My basket is full again and I can almost start selling again. Not feeling in a hurry for anything right now.

51031.jpeg

Mountain flock is reported to be doing well and coming around quickly. No new sneezes reported. All look good and energetic.
I may ride Boo up for a visit to clean coop and check flock. Lahaina son has been studying for his next test ♡

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I was off for awhile but I still check in here and there. Life has not been the smoothest road lately. Almost puts a Pennsylvania backroad to shame.
I did want to share that I wrote a short story based on the story I tell my flocks when it's their first time with Santa. It's more fun and sweet and I can read it back to them to. I have so many funny sweet stories just because they are who they are.
Does anyone know a place I could share them in case others want to read them or let their kids read them?
Not seeing to get paid but just want to share my tiny velociraptors with everyone.
Sounds like you should start your own thread ♡ if so, please post a link so we can read and follow.
I hope your bumpy road smooths out soon. Life is like that 🙁 but one thing is guaranteed, this too shall pass ♡ Hang in there! 🌈🌦

Sounds like you should start your own thread ♡ if so, please post a link so we can read and follow.
I hope your bumpy road smooths out soon. Life is like that 🙁 but one thing is guaranteed, this too shall pass ♡ Hang in there! 🌈🌦
Adventures on the Ranch: Short Sories and more Edition
This is the Christmas one. I made this page when I had no clue what to do so it's a hot mess lol. I have a blog I'm working on as well to post some of them there too.
Thank you for being so amazing

Also, taking on and deboning a turkey... how'd it come out, was it worth the efforts and would you do it again?
Yes, it came out perfect. Each year I pray over the bird hoping for the best, as in moist white meat. I would not roast a whole turkey with bones, ever again. You would think after all the years of practice that I would have it down. Finally have. It's only taken me 35+ tries or so. 🤣

Last edited:
Almost every night I have to pull that feral broody out of a nest box. I'd pull fake eggs but she would just go to the next box. So, it is a battle of time. Bless her little heart, but it's a no camping zone!

I made the decision to bring the fosters inside the house for more forced human interaction. So, I layed low and hung out in the house much of yesterday. It is going well but I can tell this will take some time. They are playing up a storm, just with each other, not humans. They have the noises and furniture down though. Been running around like squirrels since 4am and have filled 2 cat boxes. Oh the smell! First light I am replacing them with fresh ones.
Highlights, besides the endless hours of poop and play. A soccer game.View attachment 3691189New things to climb.View attachment 3691190View attachment 3691191
Nap buddies and favorite locations.
View attachment 3691192View attachment 3691196
Think I will do this for another few days. The orange kitties, Shelly and Kanani will be flying out next. I want to make sure their sweet shy selves are ready.

I've split the condo and will intro Waihona to the other kitties in the next few days or after I bring the babies back out to their condo - when I can't take the smell of litter boxes anymore or they are too rowdy - I need Makani and Waihona (brother and sister) to rebond and pair up. I hope for them to be travel and adoption buddies and also, my once shy Makani will help to socialize my very shy Waihona 🤞

Chickens are perfect awesome. I've been keeping the run gate open for home flock so the can freely freerange. They are giving me a consistent 5 eggs a day on average so far. My basket is full again and I can almost start selling again. Not feeling in a hurry for anything right now.

View attachment 3691212
Mountain flock is reported to be doing well and coming around quickly. No new sneezes reported. All look good and energetic.
I may ride Boo up for a visit to clean coop and check flock. Lahaina son has been studying for his next test ♡
Good to hear you are having some me time, relaxing a bit and just enjoying the kids. Hurray, the mountain flock is well. Ya, litter boxes are hauna! I just put a small litter box under Olena aka Ginger, maybe easier.
Last week there was a FB post that asked for feed bags. I think I can get you more if wanted or needed.
The kitties are precious. 😍

I have not been getting eggs despite the pullets having beautiful red combs, so I headed outside this morning to check all the corners, to see if there was a snake inside the hoop coop, eating the eggs. It was 43°, brr.

I did a pretty thorough search of the coop, no snake.

While I was doing that I also cleared out the clutter I had added when they were small and needed places to hide.

"Grape Lady made us a BIG new perch!"
IMG_20231125_090501083.jpg

After digging out some of the composted litter from the front (to use in my gardens) I added more leaves.
IMG_20231125_104456336~3.jpg

They all are active, seem healthy, why no eggs?

IMG_20231125_103955687~2.jpg

Naomi ⬆️

Most of the pullets have bright red combs...I don't get it. :confused:

I have not been getting eggs despite the pullets having beautiful red combs, so I headed outside this morning to check all the corners, to see if there was a snake inside the hoop coop, eating the eggs. It was 43°, brr.

I did a pretty thorough search of the coop, no snake.

While I was doing that I also cleared out the clutter I had added when they were small and needed places to hide.

"Grape Lady made us a BIG new perch!"
View attachment 3691489

After digging out some of the composted litter from the front (to use in my gardens) I added more leaves.
View attachment 3691491

They all are active, seem healthy, why no eggs?

View attachment 3691493
Naomi ⬆️

Most of the pullets have bright red combs...I don't get it. :confused:
They are teaching you patience.... and who's the boss 😂

Back
Top Bottom