What did you do with your flock today?

No it’s not a tingle it’s a mild shock on the lowest setting. I only had to use it once or twice before she totally understood the tone meant to pay attention. I don't think hers vibrated, but of course you would need one that did.

It’s definitely only for extreme cases. My Ruby wouldn’t have a home if we hadn’t been able to get through to her. She would not allow anyone to come on our property at all. I don't think she was too sure about us either. We had a dog trainer/whisperer come out and help us. Poor girl had a rough start before us but she is a gem now. Totally worth the time and effort.

I have heard that you can train a dog with hand signals. I've never had to try it. I think if your dog could learn to look at you for a command when he feels the vibration of the collar, then you could give him a hand signal for direction. There are a few sites that teach this. Here's one: http://www.deafdogs.org/training/signs.php
Thank you! That's very helpful. Sounds like it'd be best to just use vibrate for look at me, and signals from there. He's learned hand signals for sit, down and stay already, and I learned some ASL when my youngest was little. ASL was her first language. I can't actually remember much of it anymore but it'll make it easier to pick back up. I like the idea of people besides me being able to communicate with him.

I'm lucky because hes eager to please. He learns well but its my first time with a deaf animal so we're learning together. I can see he hears something sometimes, so I kept trying to find something he can always hear. A crazy loud whistle usually works when he's close but not always, and not at all at a distance. I'd never thought about how much I talk to my animals and how much that matters.

Your Ruby's very lucky! Taking on an adult dog with existing behavior problems is really hard. I'm really glad you were able to make it work.

Just popping in to say Happy Monday and share my current view with you all! 😍

View attachment 3697894

The CCFF Show in Paso Robles went really well! We brought 18 birds and are bringing home 15 first place and 3 second place ribbons! 😍 My most exciting win was Reserve of Breed in the d’Anvers! My first goal last year was to show a NON-quail variety and place higher than the quail or blue quail—and we did it! 🎉 Granted 7 of them were mine hehe, and the Best of Breed was a gorgeous quail hen but there were at least 12 quail and blue quail and he got 2nd best 😍😍 I also brought 6 Ameraucana bantams and my self blue pullet took Best of Breed and my Wheaten pullet was Reserve of Breed, and Alfredo won Best Variety in the black Watermaal group of 1 😆 I also am bringing home a Blue Quail rooster to put with my new Watermaal hens that I’m very excited about because he won Reserve of Breed at the show. Plus he’s just the most relaxed and gentle boy! ❤️

We drove down to Morro Bay yesterday and spent the afternoon and morning today here and now we are heading back to ugly Sacramento 😆 😫 But I miss my bed and my other chickens and my car smells like a chicken coop, so it’s time! 🤪
Wow! Well done! That looks like a crazy good time you guys had and some very well deserved ribbons! ❤️

Hmmm....It's not normally my job to close the coop, but tonight I did it. As I always used to do, I counted chickens to make sure they were all in. I have 17 chickens and could only come up with 16. So I checked the other little coops to see if anyone was hiding there. Checked hiding places in the orchard and no chicken. I came back to my list and realized it was Queen Bee, my last RIR, that was missing. I have no idea. DH doesn't count them so I don't even know when she disappeared. I know I counted noses a couple weeks ago and had 17. Whatever could have happened? :idunno DH went out after me and counted. Only 16. I don't even know how to grieve her...is she dead?...is she hiding?... I will go out tomorrow and count noses again, and look for a little red hen.
🤞for a hiding red hen.

Today I found out that Bianca is getting along with her former bully.

After losing her sister, Bianca was kind of lonely. But then the rooster died, and Eris (the barred rock) stopped bullying Bianca, and even hangs out with her. Perhaps she was jealous? The rooster used to roost besides Bianca and, in cold days, he covered her with his wing.

IMG_20231205_122501.jpg

After losing her sister, Bianca was kind of lonely. But then the rooster died, and Eris (the barred rock) stopped bullying Bianca, and even hangs out with her. Perhaps she was jealous? The rooster used to roost besides Bianca and, in cold days, he covered her with his wing.

View attachment 3698547
That is really so sweet. And what a nice rooster you had to cover Bianca with his wing. That's a picture I would have liked to see. ❤️

They will be okay indoors longer as long as you can handle them! ☺️ I usually keep mine inside until they’re closer to 6-8 weeks, just to make sure they are big enough and have all the feathers they need—especially in the winter months. Don’t feel bad, they will be more socialized to you the longer they’re inside with you :) The difference in friendliness in the inside raised vs outside raised is huge and I enjoy mine being more friendly :-D So that’s a plus to a bit longer insideness! Sounds like winter is settling in where you are, hope it behaves soon! Give them some supervised field trips when it’s sunny and they will love it 😍
thanks! I appreciate the feedback! I just can't wait to let them explore outside a bit.

View attachment 3698547
I'm so glad they found some friendship to grow ❤️

:yesss: Olena tried out her cluck voice this morning a few times. I was in the kitchen and heard a half cluck honk. Have been trying to have her squat on a rolled towel, and when she relaxes down, she can stay for a short time before falling sideways or kicks out her legs and goes backwards. Slow but good improvement week by week. She also is flapping a little more evenly, instead of lopsided, weaker on the right.

:yesss: Olena tried out her cluck voice this morning a few times. I was in the kitchen and heard a half cluck honk. Have been trying to have her squat on a rolled towel, and when she relaxes down, she can stay for a short time before falling sideways or kicks out her legs and goes backwards. Slow but good improvement week by week. She also is flapping a little more evenly, instead of lopsided, weaker on the right.
Oh yay!!! :wee Keep it up Olena!! ❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom