What do you do with sick day old chicks?

Scotty from BI

Songster
Aug 26, 2015
Sounds pretty horrible, but is there a humane way to euthanize mail order chicks that just do not appear able to make it? Don't want to prolong suffering by trying to salvage sick or injured chicks that are obviously beyond the threshold of trying to nurse back and usually those very sick or injured are perpetual problems and get picked on by the flock. I have 18 chicks coming next month and have not considered what to do with those unfortunates that will not likely make it. Hopefully this will not be an issue but if it is, I want to be prepared in advance.

I had 3 batches of mail order chicks in the last 2 years.

One order of 25, one 16, and the last just 2.

Out of that many only one was dead on arrival.

One was spraddle-legged and was treatable.

Chicks that young are surprisingly resilient.

Just make sure they're sufficiently warm and watch for pasty butt and cocci (have meds or medicated feed ready, as all my shipped chicks get this) and let them adjust.

I had to put down my first chick yesterday, he was completely healthy but got stepped on. It was agonizing, but I opted to use the scissor method. It wasn't as clean cut as some will make it out to be, but it wasn't messy, and it was quick, which is important. If you use this method, I recommend using very sharp, very strong kitchen sheers.

Best of luck!

Just let them come. Pick them up just as soon as you get that call from the post office. Be prepared with sugar water and Poultry Nutri-Drench. They will most likely all do fine. If you have to euthanize, decapitation is by far the most humane for the chick. It's quickest and does not prolong the suffering. However, you will have plenty of time to make that decision after you get them settled. Usually, you will know within 48 hours whether a chick is going to make it. And without giving them that window of time to either improve or decline, you may be euthanizing a chick that otherwise simply needed a little extra time and support to get going.

That's helpful. I never heard of the scissor method. Yikes... it makes sense. So, 48 hours is the thresh hold for nursing before the guillotine. That would be very hard to do. I have always gone to the store to buy my fryers and beef. Not very inclined to kill, especially babies. Boy, I guess there is no easy answer to this question. But thanks for your suggestions. Appreciated.

Just let them come. Pick them up just as soon as you get that call from the post office. Be prepared with sugar water and Poultry Nutri-Drench. They will most likely all do fine. If you have to euthanize, decapitation is by far the most humane for the chick. It's quickest and does not prolong the suffering. However, you will have plenty of time to make that decision after you get them settled. Usually, you will know within 48 hours whether a chick is going to make it. And without giving them that window of time to either improve or decline, you may be euthanizing a chick that otherwise simply needed a little extra time and support to get going.
X2 on all counts

There really isn't an easy answer.

Before chickens, I've never killed anything beyond a mosquito so killing a cute fuzzy and otherwise healthy chick was the most difficult thing I've had to do in a while.

Luckily you're doing it right and doing your research ahead of time.

I can't imagine having a declining chick and trying to wade through all the options for euthanasia, and trust me there are some crazy ones out there!

I decided on the scissors because I read an article by a poultry vet who discussed the various methods people throw around out there (freezing, gassing, scissors, etc) and in comparison to what euthanasia actually means for the bird.

2 of the methods he recommended were cervical dislocation and decapitation because they are quick.

I wasn't certain I could perform cervical dislocation properly so I opted for the latter.

Using an ax or knife on a chick seemed like it was dangerous and I bombed the ax method before on an adult bird so I chose the scissor method because I had better control and it was easier considering the chicks size.

For me it wasn't easy, it sucked, I still feel overwhelmingly bad and guilty over it, but I knew there was no saving the chick and he truly was suffering.

I've included the link to the article for you to review if you wish.

https://mikethechickenvet.wordpress.com/

I'm really glad you're sorting all of this out ahead of time, that way if the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do and can act swiftly to end the chicks suffering.

Best of luck to you and I hope you never ever have to use it!!

That's helpful. I never heard of the scissor method. Yikes... it makes sense. So, 48 hours is the thresh hold for nursing before the guillotine. That would be very hard to do. I have always gone to the store to buy my fryers and beef. Not very inclined to kill, especially babies. Boy, I guess there is no easy answer to this question. But thanks for your suggestions. Appreciated.

Thanks again for your kind and understanding words. I agree it would be horrible, but I have heard stories of shipped chicks with all kinds of outcomes. Your right, the time to figure it out is not with the suffering chick in hand. I am anticipating all healthy babies, but I always like to have a good or reasonable contingency if needed.

I am no delicate little flower, I was a corpsman in Vietnam Nam a million years ago and saw death and mayhem daily. But Boy oh boy, I really hope my chicks are delivered healthy. I mean really. The prospect of these acts is almost overwhelming. Chopping of their head or a gas chamber. I really do appreciate your suggestions, but again, I sure hope it doesn't come to that. I should say, I appreciate that you are offering humane suggestions which are practical and useful and in any case where prolonged suffering is the alternative would be welcome relief. This IS a difficult subject, rarely discussed but hopefully even if I don't need it, someone else here might benefit.

I am no delicate little flower, I was a corpsman in Vietnam Nam a million years ago and saw death and mayhem daily. But Boy oh boy, I really hope my chicks are delivered healthy. I mean really. The prospect of these acts is almost overwhelming. Chopping of their head or a gas chamber. I really do appreciate your suggestions, but again, I sure hope it doesn't come to that. I should say, I appreciate that you are offering humane suggestions which are practical and useful and in any case where prolonged suffering is the alternative would be welcome relief. This IS a difficult subject, rarely discussed but hopefully even if I don't need it, someone else here might benefit.
You're right, it is a difficult subject, and more power to you for bringing it up. I agree with LG - you will know in 48 hours or so who will make it or not. We use decapitation here. It's quick - over with in seconds and the chick has no idea what is happening. Not real messy with a tiny chick. Just not pretty, and you actually have to see it happen. When you gas them, you don't have to look at it.

You're right, it is a difficult subject, and more power to you for bringing it up. I agree with LG - you will know in 48 hours or so who will make it or not. We use decapitation here. It's quick - over with in seconds and the chick has no idea what is happening. Not real messy with a tiny chick. Just not pretty, and you actually have to see it happen. When you gas them, you don't have to look at it.

You can actually complete a decapitation, and do it cleanly, decisively, and quickly without seeing it. I use a sharp pair of garden clippers. I have a small paper bag handy. I wrap the chick in a paper towel, and place the business end of the clippers in position. Then I use part of the towel to cover the chick's head. Hold chick over paper bag. Quick clip, drop chick into paper bag and fold over top. Chick dies instantly, instead of suffocating as done with gassing. The minute the spinal cord and carotid arteries are severed, death occurs. Any further movements are the result of latent nerve firing.

Back
Top Bottom