What do you have for a freezer and how do you like it?

steveo

Songster
12 Years
Dec 9, 2007
Poland, Maine
I should be getting my 25 meat birds at the end of March so I need to purchase a new freezer to keep them in after they are ready. I was wondering what everybody else is using or what you recommend. Stand up or chest? Which one holds the most stuff. I know I want something energy efficient and as big as I can afford.

I think Stand up freezers are easier to sort through but chest freezers tend to hold more. The only problem with a chest freezer is once it starts to fill up you have a lot of digging to do to get to the stuff at the bottom.

I had wanted a stand up freezer and found Lowes was the cheapest place in our area. But at Xmas time my FIL had a friend who was moving and selling a chest freezer for $40 so I got that.

My grandparents have a stand, my parents have a chest. I personally prefer the chest because it seems like the stand is always overflowing anytime you get something out of it something always falls to the floor.... then again there is the "oh.... how long has that been in there" moments with the chest. Currently shopping around for a chest myself.

Last edited:
I have a stand up one, and it works well. I didn't want to dig for my stuff, and they take up less room on the floor. The only problem is that stuff tends to fall out if you just cram it in.

We have a chest type and don't like it at all, I would suggest an upright. the constant digging and rotating when it is fully stocked is no fun and cleaning it out is the pits.

think Stand up freezers are easier to sort through but chest freezers tend to hold more. The only problem with a chest freezer is once it starts to fill up you have a lot of digging to do to get to the stuff at the bottom

Ditto... I had both and now use stand up only for my house.

Try the walk in coolers at meat lockers if you have one locally. I pay $20 bucks a month for a 20' x 20' space.​

Try craigslist for lots of used freezers. I see them on there all the time. I prefer uprights; easier to find stuff, rotate, clean, and takes up less floor space.

I own both, the chest freezer is the main freezer for bulk, and we rotate out the ready use smaller portions to the side by side, fridge/freezer. I made dividers for my chest freezer so I don't have any problems with digging around for stuff. I bought the chest freezer for bulk after owning just a upright. Chest is the best!!!!

AL

Quote:
I wish there was a meat locker nearby. That's not a bad deal at all. That's probably less than what my electric bill goes up in the summer running two chest freezers. I'm thinking mine are 65 cubic ft. each, not sure on that. They hold more than uprights, and they don't lose all the cold when you open the door, like an upright does. It's easier to put large items in chest freezer, like huge homegrown turkeys and such.

Mine are in a locked storage building/tool shed, it gets too hot in there in the summer, we're trying to figure out some way to change that, without running AC. I need a couple of good shade trees on each end, and some better ventilation.

We'll try to get down to one freezer through the summer, or at least part of it, until we start putting up veggies from the garden, chickens, planning to raise a pair of pigs to butcher in the fall, and I hope we get a deer or two this fall!

I keep stuff in bags and baskets in mine, to make it easier to dig out what we need. That is a PITA, but I always get that "oops, forgot about that thing" with either uprights or chest types.

Back
Top Bottom