WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE NEW CALIFORNIA STATE CHICKEN CONFINEMENT LAW FOR EGG FARMERS ?????

MountainMarans2012

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Bodfish Canyon, California
Thank goodness I raise my own free range chickens, because I went to the local Grocery Store here in California and saw the shelves where the egg cartons usually are full were almost empty and inquired what was up. I asked the employee that stocks this section and was told that because they passed a new Law in California that by January 1,2015 all Egg Farms must provide adequate space for all egg laying hens to move around and flap their wings and until provided for them ,they couldn't sell their eggs. Of course I went home to check this out on-line to see if this was true and found numerous articles talking about this new Law....Here's one link talking about it ( http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/0...cage-size-law-expected-to-increase-egg-prices ) And also ( http://www.cnbc.com/id/102301950 )...... I raise free range chickens and try to give them the best food,the best nesting boxes,the best of everything that I can possibly do for them to make their little lives happy...Ya I don't always get a lot of eggs as I would like,but I hope at least they are somewhat happy' as much as a chicken could be happy.....My dilemma is, when is it enough for the animal rights advocates????? Will they stop there, or go after us little flock farmers that only sell their eggs at local Farmers Markets or sell to friends there extra eggs....Who's going to be looking in our back yards next ???????

Thank goodness I raise my own free range chickens, because I went to the local Grocery Store here in California and saw the shelves where the egg cartons usually are full were almost empty and inquired what was up. I asked the employee that stocks this section and was told that because they passed a new Law in California that by January 1,2015 all Egg Farms must provide adequate space for all egg laying hens to move around and flap their wings and until provided for them ,they couldn't sell their eggs. Of course I went home to check this out on-line to see if this was true and found numerous articles talking about this new Law....Here's one link talking about it ( http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/0...cage-size-law-expected-to-increase-egg-prices ) And also ( http://www.cnbc.com/id/102301950 )...... I raise free range chickens and try to give them the best food,the best nesting boxes,the best of everything that I can possibly do for them to make their little lives happy...Ya I don't always get a lot of eggs as I would like,but I hope at least they are somewhat happy' as much as a chicken could be happy.....My dilemma is, when is it enough for the animal rights advocates????? Will they stop there, or go after us little flock farmers that only sell their eggs at local Farmers Markets or sell to friends there extra eggs....Who's going to be looking in our back yards next ???????

I think the new law is great! If 60% of people voted for this law then they realize how terribly cruel egg farm conditions are. They have shown that they are willing to pay a few cents more to relieve chickens from heartbreaking and sickening conditions. I think the market will level off over time. There are plenty of farms that raise cage free and free range chickens/eggs and are profitable.
I would also think that the advocates of this new law may have gotten some inspiration from free range and backyard chickens. They are too busy trying to better the lives of millions of caged birds, not in punishing back yard keepers who are doing it right already. :)

I think this is a step in the right direction. I also think that the same criteria needs to be used in all of the animals for human consumption farms. If you look at the farming practices for beef and pork, it will make you sick to your stomach. And if you can't watch it without becoming enraged at what we as a nation are doing to our food supply, then there is a serious mental disconnect going on.

I think this is a step in the right direction. I also think that the same criteria needs to be used in all of the animals for human consumption farms. If you look at the farming practices for beef and pork, it will make you sick to your stomach. And if you can't watch it without becoming enraged at what we as a nation are doing to our food supply, then there is a serious mental disconnect going on.

x2 !!!

So happy this passed!!!!! Even animals raised for a food source should be cared for and provided comforts that all animals deserve
clap.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Do a bit of research on the cons of this law before passing positive judgement.

Commercial egg farming is not the same as a backyard hobby.

I found both arguments had substantial merit.

I especially found it disheartening to read about broken bones...

Quote:
If you don't think they'll come after backyarders you may be deceived, these guys are not the kind to stop at the top, poop runs downhill and it will eventually reach our backyards. They will eventually want to regulate whether your hen houses are heated in the winter and cooled in the summer, whether you can pen them at all whether they have room to flap wings or not. They will also go after county and state fairs as well as the exhibition section of this hobby because penning a chicken is cruel and unusual, even though if they are free ranged they are subject to death by coyote, raccoon, opossum, skunk, mink, etc...... I have been in laying farms and trust me, if a hen is not well fed, healthy and happy she is not going to lay and egg, period! People who do not farm should not make laws concerning those who do.

It's not only california egg producers, but even out of state chicken farms that sell to california. A few in ohio and indiana that i know of.

Agree, it's a step in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom