What do you use for a scalder?

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Title sums it up. I just got a Yardbird plucker (hurray!) and I know a good scald is essential to make it work right. Last year I used a stock pot on an open flame so really I can only improve. I am leaning toward a big turkey fryer but may consider a low end electric scalder. It is to process about 50 birds a year in my backyard for my family. So what do you guys have? How many birds a year do you do with it? Are you happy with it, or wish you had ___? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to make a purchase by processing day at the end of this month. Thanks!

A turkey fryer is just a stock pot on flame. I've got one and the flame is just too high. Being cheap model it's not adjustable friendly, goes out if I turn it down. For a manageable flame I picked up a gas burner with small portable cast iron stand. Much better to keep the heat 155 F but then I don't process as many as you do so don't have the need for a turbo flame.

Do your homework and pick up a good propane stand. Your stock pot is perfectly fine. I'd just purchase a quality base that will adjust flame easily. If you're not dunking birds constantly mine would get the water too hot very fast.

A turkey fryer is just a stock pot on flame. I've got one and the flame is just too high. Being cheap model it's not adjustable friendly, goes out if I turn it down. For a manageable flame I picked up a gas burner with small portable cast iron stand. Much better to keep the heat 155 F but then I don't process as many as you do so don't have the need for a turbo flame.

Do your homework and pick up a good propane stand. Your stock pot is perfectly fine. I'd just purchase a quality base that will adjust flame easily. If you're not dunking birds constantly mine would get the water too hot very fast.
Appreciate you sharing your experience.

X2
I had the same results with the flame going out if too low or keeping the water to hot.
I only do 2 heritage chickens or 1 turkey at a time, so I just use faucet hot water. I turn the water heater up a couple hours ahead.

X2
I had the same results with the flame going out if too low or keeping the water to hot.
I only do 2 heritage chickens or 1 turkey at a time, so I just use faucet hot water. I turn the water heater up a couple hours ahead.
I have a small under the sink hot water heater that I turn all the way up to fill my pot, it sure cuts the heating time. It is about 130 degrees, then I only have to heat it a little more.

I use a turkey fryer pot on a camp stove — meat thermometer to monitor temperature. I usually do no more than 8 birds per weekend. So far since last spring, this setup has been used for: 28 chickens, 1 duck, and a dozen or so quail.

Back
Top Bottom