What does the 'egg song' sound like?

I like this question!! Whenever my hens start bock bocking first there's this Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk, then the rooster starts up, then the hen starts making her bock bock. What I do is I go to their cage and go "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" they jump out of the laying house and decide to eat food but are still bock bocking and spit it out.
gig.gif
it's a scene!

Some of mine "sing" before they lay an egg, and some do it after. Usually, it goes on for a minute or two. , my wife likes to sleep in on Fridays, one of her days off, and was a bit upset at the chickens last week because they all decided to start bawking at the same time
big_smile.png
. When one or two do it, it is cute. When all 5 start going at it like they did last Friday, it is really, really loud. As mentioned in a previous post, treats shut them up almost immediately. What is nice though is that the neighbors think it is nice when they make noise.

Last edited:
I noticed that when our chickens are free ranging and they hear something that scares them, the roosters will all start singing the "egg song" so I do think it is more about distracting a potential predator.

Back
Top Bottom