What got my Turkey? Picked him clean....

What killed my Turkey?

• Total voters

FatherofChickens

Chirping
Dec 20, 2019
Mississippi
Found Big turkey boy Boopie's remains this morning. Bout 120 yards from coop, down in creek bottom - first little spot of feathers was 70+ yards from coop, then I could see the gruesome scattering of feathers where he was eaten about 40 yards further on.

DANGER- GRUESOME CORPSE DESCRIPTION FOLLOWS - Boopie's corpse was still mostly together - even the neck and the beak were still attached, ribs, both wings, and feet. Feet were untouched. But the whole bird was picked clean, I mean, picked clean. No meat or guts left, just the ligaments, bones, and feathers. Looked like he was eaten some in the first spot, then dragged about 15 foot to the second and final spot where his remains were.

Boopie's brother was in coop last night but Boopie was not. I didn't think anything of it because Boopie roosted all over the place in the back yard. Whole flock is free range. My dogs were both still out, they are pretty well-trained farm dogs that usually pick up on bird attacks and come running. They have chased off predators in the past.

Took dogs on late-night walk about 11pm and they didn't pick up on anything.

To add to the trouble, we had a hen go missing last week. No sign or anything, just gone.

Here in Mississippi we have coyotes, bobcats, fox, hogs, wild dogs, the rumored black bear, and the stories of the black swamp panther. What do ya'll think is going on?

Will tighten up security measures and I'm putting out game camera today near Boopie's corpse ( I used a big stick to sling him about 10 foot up in a tree.)

What do ya'll think got Boopie? I'm just shocked at how he was completely devoured. This was a big bird, around 30-35lbs. I slept with window open last night, heard nothing, no sign or anything, didn't hear coyotes. It was quiet. Something grabbed him and picked him clean.

Vote in the poll, you get two votes. Thanks for reading.

Coyotes and bobcats are both common predators of wild turkeys. Both are large and strong enough to carry away a turkey, & also stealthy enough to hunt around lgds. A bobcat is more likely to bury the carcass than a coyote. It is also possible something grabbed your turkey, ate it's fill and buried the carcass, then another predator came along and picked the carcass clean. But a very hungry large predator could have eaten the entire meal itself.

Did you notice any scat (poop) near the remains? After such a big meal, I would be surprised if the predator didn't leave scat evidence behind. Glad to know you have a game camera up, because it Will be back. If you have another game camera, I would also aim that at your coop tonight, after making sure all remaining flock members are safely inside. My two votes are 1) Coyote (which also includes coydogs and feral dogs) and 2) Bobcat, since those are the largest confirmed canine and feline predators in your area. I hope you catch the culprit before it gets any more birds. Let us know.

Did you notice any scat (poop) near the remains? After such a big meal, I would be surprised if the predator didn't leave scat evidence behind.
Did not see scat - Me and the pups did some scouting - only found another pile of feathers. Will keep an eye out and see if I can find anything.

Game camera is out at the kill site - will keep ya'll updated. I did sit downwind from the kill site yesterday evening and a single racoon appeared, sniffing around the feathers. I don't think this was the culprit.

I have a feeling the critter will be back. I've dealt with "problem critters" before - unfortunately once they get a taste for domestic birds they tend to keep coming back!

We do have those around - I've seen them. You think he coulda eaten the whole bird?
Most likely other scavengers after the original predator. I didn’t see a picture but IF rib bones are intact then likely small carnivorous creatures and/or raptors. Wolves chew bone.
I had a deer carcass on a game cam. coyotes ate their fill on night 1, left a lot. Two days later the crows and eagles had it literally picked clean.

Now there's a chicken missing - that makes two chickens and the turkey in about a week-anda-half span of time.

Predator has moved in on me! I'm thinking of putting "Meatball," my basketball-shaped Cornish Cross, in a dog cage on the property flank and laying an ambush. Meatball will be safe and covered by a Chinese SKS loaded with hollow points.

THIS IS WAR!

Nothing on the game camera besides deer btw.

102_4013.JPG

102_4019.JPG
102_4027.JPG

Found some scat! I'm no tracker but it looks to me like coyote.

2 more birds confirmed gone - RIP Meatball and one of my unnamed roosters. Birds are on lockdown staying in outdoor run - they are not happy about it.

Both attacks were downwind from coop, on the fringes of their free-range territories - not more than 20 feet into the woods. Got the cameras out and not sure what else to do. Will have to figure out how to coyote hunt.

Back
Top Bottom