What I am getting this Spring (major chicken addicts thread)

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
OK....

After having chickens for years, I decided that I was going to stop buying from hatcheries, and pick breeds that:

1. Would be very unlikely to suffer from frostbite (so no single combs)

2. Were heritage, very old historical breeds

3. Were CHEERFUL colors (so, in the brown/orange/warm cream family)

4. Were more egg layer than meat maker

I greatly agree with Yellow House Farm, that you need to focus on only one, or maybe two breeds so that you can hatch a bunch of chicks each year, at least 50, but hundreds would be better, and then majorly cull.

However, none of the breeds that I was interested in were breeds that I had EVER raised before!!!! So, that means I simply couldn't pick just one!

So.......

The plan is to raise the breeds, and decide which appeal to me the most, and then get rid of AT LEAST one of the breeds that arrive.

What did I get?

Golden Pencilled Hamburg
Brown Leghorn
Dominique

The kids wanted something cute, so

Bantam Blue Wheaten Ameraucana

I placed an order with Duane Urch/Turnlund since he is supposed to have quality stock, had all four breeds I wanted, AND shipped chicks.

I wanted to start breeding, so I needed to get at least a decent number to begin with, which means that instead of buying only 25, I bought 50 total.

But then I was told that he can't always fill all orders, so
I panicked. Sure, 50 chicks is a bit much, but NO chicks? Unthinkable!

So......

I kept asking around.....

Since I couldn't find any quality breeders who would ship me chicks, I thought " OK FINE already!" And ordered some Dominiques and Hamburgs from Cackle (they didn't have the other two breeds). At least I will be close to guaranteed to get chicks. I did manage to order only 10 or each (I think, maybe I should go back and check :rolleyes: )

BUT, of course that meant that I wasn't getting very quality stock....

So, I kept calling around, and will be having eggs shipped in of all four breeds.

That should cover it.

I should add that the spouse very clearly, in a very stern and slightly grumpy voice said "NO more chicken coops or chicken anything on this property!"

Hummmm...........

What were you thinking?
lau.gif

This is... AWESOME!!
ya.gif
I love the whole chicken addiction. We don't want CA (Chickens Anonymous)! My husband and I have decided to go from a small flock to a much larger one. Right now, we only have 6 hens and 2 roos, and a 6 pack of week old chicks that I hatched out myself. One reason we want more is because we intend on using our chickens for eggs and meat production. The other reason, is well.. For our enjoyment! In order to produce enough for what chicken we eat, we figured that I need to probably hatch out a dozen or two each month. Starting this up is going to take time and we predict that we probably won't be in the full swing of things until August or September, when pullets that are hatching now are laying eggs to replace the current laying hen selection. Once we are up at full speed, we can butcher a number of chickens once a month probably. We've already dubbed the last Saturday of each month as "Slaughter Saturday".
We've also gotten 4 ducklings last week to have around for duck eggs. The husband doesn't feel that ducks would be good dinner (he says they're too greasy), but their eggs are phenomenal and they will sell well. We've also discussed some about getting a pair/trio of turkeys for eggs and for meat. I myself am still uncertain whether it'd be a good idea- my last turkey turned into a terror and made the experience mostly unpleasant for me.

Your spouse said no more chickens or chicken anything... But what about ducks, turkeys, guineas, etc. (the list goes on!!!)
yesss.gif

Last edited:
This is...    AWESOME!!:ya  I love the whole chicken addiction. We don't want CA (Chickens Anonymous)! My husband and I have decided to go from a small flock to a much larger one. Right now, we only have 6 hens and 2 roos, and a 6 pack of week old chicks that I hatched out myself. One reason we want more is because we intend on using our chickens for eggs and meat production. The other reason, is well.. For our enjoyment! In order to produce enough for what chicken we eat, we figured that I need to probably hatch out  a dozen or two each month. Starting this up is going to take time and we predict that we probably won't be in the full swing of things until August or September, when pullets that are hatching now are laying eggs to replace the current laying hen selection. Once we are up at full speed, we can butcher a number of chickens once a month probably. We've already dubbed the last Saturday of each month as "Slaughter Saturday". 
We've also gotten 4 ducklings last week to have around for duck eggs. The husband doesn't feel that ducks would be good dinner (he says they're too greasy), but their eggs are phenomenal and they will sell well. We've also discussed some about getting a pair/trio of turkeys for eggs and for meat. I myself am still uncertain whether it'd be a good idea- my last turkey turned into a terror and made the experience mostly unpleasant for me. 

Your spouse said no more chickens or chicken anything... But what about ducks, turkeys, guineas, etc. (the list goes on!!!)  :yesss:  

Hummmm.. Maybe the spouse said " no poultry anything" not sure. But I already have a breeding set-up of duck. Muscovy ducks, very tasty. I have one male, and soon to be four females to make me money and meat all year long. I have a few left from the last hatch that will be made into pastrami next week.

Home grown duck is lots different from store duck or wild duck. Also, muscovy is loads different from 'regular' duck. In addition, how you cook it ALSO makes a vast difference in taste. I think you need to try them all. :lau

Hummmm.. Maybe the spouse said " no poultry anything" not sure. But I already have a breeding set-up of duck. Muscovy ducks, very tasty. I have one male, and soon to be four females to make me money and meat all year long. I have a few left from the last hatch that will be made into pastrami next week.

Home grown duck is lots different from store duck or wild duck. Also, muscovy is loads different from 'regular' duck. In addition, how you cook it ALSO makes a vast difference in taste. I think you need to try them all.
lau.gif
I've liked duck that was purchased from the grocery store. My dad cooked it (I was just a kid).. But it was good, I thought! I wouldn't object to it myself, but the hubby seems pretty convinced of it!! I think he's hunted duck with the brother in law and ate meat from a wild duck. Who knows. Maybe I could convince him otherwise. He also doesn't think there is much meat on ducks, but like you say, Muscovy is different, because it's a meat duck. The duck he's tried was probably not a meat duck!
wink.png

Goose is also good, but I don't know about keeping geese.. The ones I've encountered have been mean.
lau.gif

I tried geese this past summer...they are very good at mowing the lawn.... Unfortunately they do NOT do it evenly.

Are you getting any new chicks this spring? Or just going to stick with hatching your own?

My lawn is so tiny, I'm sure geese would make it non existent!
gig.gif

I'm trying to stick to hatching my own eggs, but who knows- I may not be able to resist the urge of the cuteness. I go into TSC, Murdoch's, and my local ag center, that I run the risk of coming home with babies! Plus it's good to put new blood in the flock instead of inbreeding too much.

My lawn is so tiny, I'm sure geese would make it non existent! :gig
I'm trying to stick to hatching my own eggs, but who knows- I may not be able to resist the urge of the cuteness. I go into TSC, Murdoch's, and my local ag center, that I run the risk of coming home with babies! Plus it's good to put new blood in the flock instead of inbreeding too much. 

Oooooooooh, so, you ARE getting more chicks? :lau

Back
Top Bottom