What incubators will work for Emu eggs? And where can I get an automatic turner?

isis

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 5, 2010
What incubators will work for Emu eggs? And where can I get an automatic turner?

I'm going to get some eggs this weekend... not sure how to do it best without spending a fortune.

Also, do you guys incubate them upright or on their side?

can't be much help to you. The incubator we use was purchased on ebay several years ago and came from Europe, it doesn't even have a name anywhere on it, but I can tell you that the eggs are incubated on their sides and they need to be turned 180 degrees at least three times a day...good luck with your eggs!

I use a GQF Hovabator 1588 and hand turn the eggs. I expect you could fit 5 or 6 eggs in there though you'd need to shift them around on a daily basis. They're incubated on their sides and turned 180 degrees back and fourth. Incubating vertically or turning in only one direction results in poor hatchability.

You'll also need to manage the humidity, the eggs need to loose between 12 and 15% of their weight by the time they hatch, if you don't weigh them weekly to see where they're at it's pretty hit or miss.
Don't trust any off the shelf hydrometer either, they're horrifyingly inaccurate more often than not, unless you're using a lab grade hydrometer that's been reliably tested it's best to go by the weight of the egg and increase/decrease the amount of water in the incubator as needed.

I wouldn't use an auto turner..

I use a modified LG (pics are in the link in my signature) and a Reptipro.. the Brinseas were garbage and went to the dump

always incubate the eggs on their sides

And as Raptor said weigh the eggs.. I use a gram scale

If you monitor the weight you can adjust the humidity from there.. so hygrometers are pretty much useless when it comes to emus

So basically weigh the eggs upon arrival.. incubate DRY.. then weigh the eggs again to see how things are progressing.
If all the eggs are losing weight too rapidly then raise the humidity
If only the ones closest to the incubator fan are losing weight too rapidly then you may have to switch them around every day with other eggs alternating the eggs and their proximity to the fan
If only one egg continues to lose weight too rapidly regardless of where it's placed then it may have an extremely porous shell.. in which case it will need to be partially painted to slow moisture loss (painted with non toxic paint in stripes around the egg).

Continue to weigh the eggs at least once a week as incubation progresses.. that way if you need to make adjustments you can .. which will help give you healthy chicks which are not dehydrated or bloated at hatch.

So pay attention to the eggs... by weighing them they will tell you what you should do to have consistent weight loss.

Back
Top Bottom