What is causing my toms to look like that?!?!

They were hatched last year May, and the feathers are broken off, and the hen shows no signs of having any issues, just the toms. Right now 3 of my hens are sitting on some eggs. 1 hen is sitting on 21 eggs. The other two are sharing the nest, and they are sitting on 12 goose eggs, 15 guineas eggs, 10 turkey eggs.

Quote:
I have see few mice, killed one by stomping it. I do not see how they can snip the feathers off just the toms not my other 5 hens, and they roost on a 2 by 2 wood 3 feet off the floor, tho it does look like the feathers has been chewed off.

Most Turkeys molt at different times of the year.. ours molted so bad in the WINTER IN INDIANA that they had very little feathers on their body... i have NO idea how they survived, but they did. they should start getting their feathers back soon!
ep.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

Quote:
WOW!!! How did you get them to sit on all the different eggs? Could I in theory get the turkeys to hatch out chicken eggs?

Quote:
WOW!!! How did you get them to sit on all the different eggs? Could I in theory get the turkeys to hatch out chicken eggs?

The first hen went missing one night, and found her the next day hiding sitting on 21 eggs.
ep.gif
No wonder why the production had dropped.
rant.gif
So I moved her to the coop with the eggs, last I checked all the eggs are fertile!
ya.gif
Then a week later a hen went broody, so I stuck 12 goose eggs under her, then two days later another hen went broody!! She wanted to share the nest with the one with goose eggs, so I stuck the guinea, and turkey eggs under them.
lol.png
They are not very nice to me when I am checking to see if the eggs are fertile, as one hen hissed, and nearly torn the skin off my hand, I still have a mark from her.
smack.gif

They can hatch chicken eggs, but they do not take long as turkey eggs, so you will have to time it right.

The breasts of your gobblers do not have mites, and this is not due to molting. Although the birds are starting their molt, the bare breasts are due to the hens. Yes the hens. They are plucking the feathers. I have several that engage in this practice and I have no explanation to the cause. I have witnessed it first hand. Some do it , others don't. Either way, the feathers will grow back and the only time I see evidence of this is during the breeding season. By fall they should look nice and full.

Quote:
Wow, that is interesting. Never thought that the hens would do that. I will keep an sharper eye out to see if the hens are the culprits. Thanks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom