What is egg drop syndrome

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
I'm aware that EDS is when hens lay eggs overnight that are thin-shelled or shell-less. I have a few questions, since my post egg bound hen has been laying very thin shelled eggs in the roost.

- Can my hens get EDS even though they are in a run with a roof and no access to wild birds?
- Can they get EDS even though I live in Northern Cali?
- Are there symptoms other than the weird eggs?
- Can it be cured?
- Is this caused by a potential lesion that occurred when she got egg bound by her shell less egg?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

Last edited:
You may find the article below helpful.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/egg-drop-syndrome-76/egg-drop-syndrome-’76

I'm aware that EDS is when hens lay eggs overnight that are thin-shelled or shell-less. I have a few questions, since my post egg bound hen has been laying very thin shelled eggs in the roost.

- Can my hens get EDS even though they are in a run with a roof and no access to wild birds?
- Can they get EDS even though I live in Northern Cali?
- Are there symptoms other than the weird eggs?
- Can it be cured?
- Is this caused by a potential lesion that occurred when she got egg bound by her shell less egg?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

I've read that article :) I don't think they specify if its possible for hens to contract that disease in the first place without interaction w/ wild birds or ducks. Would you have an idea why my hen is laying thin shelled eggs during her sleep if its not EDS?
No, I have no idea.

I think you've been doing all you can for her. I know you've had many threads asking questions which is great, but often we do not have the answers you seek.

Back
Top Bottom