What is he/she???

tharrell

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Colorado Springs
Anyone know what breed my little duckling is? He was one of the mystery ducklings sent along to the feed store any no one knew what he was. He/she has a little tuft on the back of his head too. Any ideas???
13752_img_6100.jpg

13752_img_6098.jpg

Is he black with just a hint of yellow on the chest? If so, looks like Cayuga to me. My daughter's cayuga looks like that (with a little less yellow) and has a mini crest too.

Yep, just the little yellow on the chest. I was thinking maybe cayuga, but he looks a little different than the pictures I've seen.... Maybe he's a mutt???

50300_duckies_140.jpg

Besides the crest, the one on the left looks like yours to me... She feathered out beautifully (not as vivid green as the darker one) and if you dig through her feathers you can even find some white deep down but you'd have to be looking for them. I understand it is perfectly normal for the bit of yellow, but it is just not show quality. She's even a better layer than I expected. She started in Jan and hasn't stopped yet. Much earlier start than I expected!
Not the best pic but this is her in the background with the crested cayuga in front.
50300_img_20110405_100325-1.jpg

I think it is a Cayuga. Mine looked very similar to this when she was a baby. From the photos I've seen, ducklings with a huge patch of bright, vibrant yellow (just like the yellow color that a baby Pekin is) are usually Black Swedish. But if it is a duller, muted yellow then it's probably a Cayuga. The yellow on my Cayuga faded away as she grew, and now she only has a couple of tiny white speckles left.

Let us know what this one turns out to be when it gets its adult feathers!

Back
Top Bottom