What is this waterfowl? (Wayward traveler!)

jenjscott

Mosquito Beach Poultry
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Southeast Arkansas
Seems to be some kind of goose, maybe? It has been hanging around grazing in the pastures with our goats and sheep.

10901_what_is_it.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa! That, I think it is pretty likely from bird books but I've never seen one in person, is the black-bellied whistling duck (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-bellied_Whistling_Duck ) but that would make it an *considerable* straggler beyond its range. It just looks SO much like it to me (again, from books not from real life experience) and doesn't look much like ANYthing else.

If you happen to know the local birding club or a local "serious birder" you might email them the photo, they might be interested in seeing the critter if it's still hanging around!!

Pat

Thanks, Bb and Pat, Have been looking for this, saw some pics of the tree ducks and thought it looked similar, but they didn't have any pics of the black bellied variety. Now that I know the name, I found several pics. I have been a bird watcher for a long time and have never seen one of these. They must not be too common around here. He certainly doesn't seem too concerned about us.

Last edited:
They're only "supposed" to be in TX and the extreme coastline of the gulf coast -- yours definitely made a wrong turn somewhere LOL

Handsome bird, thanks for posting the pic!

Pat

Back
Top Bottom