What is this weird abscess thing?!

Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
I have a 10 week old pullet that has never seemed right to me. She’s always been way smaller than the others. Her sisters are 3 times her size now. She always stayed closer to the heating element and doesn’t have the same energy level. She also walks a little bit like a penguin. I’m not sure if it’s just a typical case of failure to thrive or something more. Anyways, I digress. She has a weird abscess thing on her crop. I can’t say how long it’s been there. I just happened to feel a weird bit of scab when I was holding her today and picked at it, to find that there is a nasty abscess underneath with a hard ball of puss. I tried to pick as much out as it could, but can’t get the ball out.
I’m gonna take her to the vet if needed tomorrow. Thoughts?
03C11E0C-DA35-40D4-8B68-F45E9B8AD0C9.jpeg

I'd try a hot compress! I've had that with mine. It's an ingrown feather. I've gotten them out before. Just be sure to pull the rotten feather out too. They get real nasty.

I've gone at them with tweezers before. Once it starts bleeding freely and cleanly it's usually ok imo.

I have a 10 week old pullet that has never seemed right to me. She’s always been way smaller than the others. Her sisters are 3 times her size now. She always stayed closer to the heating element and doesn’t have the same energy level. She also walks a little bit like a penguin. I’m not sure if it’s just a typical case of failure to thrive or something more. Anyways, I digress. She has a weird abscess thing on her crop. I can’t say how long it’s been there. I just happened to feel a weird bit of scab when I was holding her today and picked at it, to find that there is a nasty abscess underneath with a hard ball of puss. I tried to pick as much out as it could, but can’t get the ball out.
I’m gonna take her to the vet if needed tomorrow. Thoughts? View attachment 2009454
Anyone? What do I do to treat this thing. How should I get the puss out?

Veterinary medicine rule if it’s moist dry it up and if it is dry moisturize it.
Remember: Warm moist compresses dry a thing like abscesses.

She has a weird abscess thing on her crop
Anyone? What do I do to treat this thing. How should I get the puss out?
I would try a warm compress, see if that helps soften it up. Chick pus is hard. Use some tweezers and needle to help press it out. If you have someone that can help you that would be even better.
Take photos too if possible:D

Back
Top Bottom