What is this?

Hybridchucks

Queen Of The Coop
7 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Burdsville
My Coop
My Coop
My mom cracked an egg and was going to make lunch but she saw this weird thing in it. What is that and can we still use it?
The pics aren't very good, sorry. The camera hates focusing :barnie

Attachments

• IMG-20180103-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180103-WA0000.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20180103-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180103-WA0001.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20180103-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180103-WA0002.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20180103-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20180103-WA0003.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 15
Check out blood spots and meat spots on this link. That looks like a blood spot to me but the color is a bit different, may be the lighting.

Egg Quality Handbook

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

When the membrane that is around the yolk separates to release it to start its journey through the hen’s internal egg making factory a tiny blood vessel occasionally breaks. This can get some blood in the egg. Occasionally a piece of something inside the hen’s body cavity gets sent down that egg making factory, that’s a meat spot.

These things happen quite often. The reason you don’t see them in the eggs you buy is that those eggs are electronically candled to remove any that have something in them. They don’t want those kinds of surprises in the commercial eggs. As far as your health goes there is nothing wrong with eating those eggs. The eggs that fail candling are sold at a reduced price to places that break the eggs before using them, such as bakeries. I agree there is a Yuk! Factor when you see one of those. That’s why I suggest you always break one of our eggs in a separate bowl before you use it.

That does not even come close to looking like a fertile egg. You can look through this thread for pictures of what a fertile egg looks like, sort of a white spot with a bull's eye.

Fertile Egg Photos

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

I won't post a photo of a fertile egg that has started to develop, but one of the first signs is blood vessels forming in it. Nothing at all like that.

I don’t know what to say then, it looks a lot like a fertile egg
no. It's certainly not fertile, no rooster and it hasn't got a bullseye in the middle of the whiteam spot.
Check out blood spots and meat spots on this link. That looks like a blood spot to me but the color is a bit different, may be the lighting.

Egg Quality Handbook

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

When the membrane that is around the yolk separates to release it to start its journey through the hen’s internal egg making factory a tiny blood vessel occasionally breaks. This can get some blood in the egg. Occasionally a piece of something inside the hen’s body cavity gets sent down that egg making factory, that’s a meat spot.

These things happen quite often. The reason you don’t see them in the eggs you buy is that those eggs are electronically candled to remove any that have something in them. They don’t want those kinds of surprises in the commercial eggs. As far as your health goes there is nothing wrong with eating those eggs. The eggs that fail candling are sold at a reduced price to places that break the eggs before using them, such as bakeries. I agree there is a Yuk! Factor when you see one of those. That’s why I suggest you always break one of our eggs in a separate bowl before you use it.
Ahhh okay! Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom