what is this?

HaappyHenhouse

Songster
Jun 19, 2020
Sapphire gem hen there was what looked like an egg but no shell in the coop behind her and then I saw this. What do I do I am new at this?

Attachments

• 20210725_172430.jpg
    20210725_172430.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 12
I believe that is a ripped shelless egg. Look very carefully and make sure that there is no part of it up into her vent (make 100% sure it isn't an organ) and you can probably lightly lift it to see if it will fall out easily.

Put the pieces together to see if it is an egg.

I believe that is a ripped shelless egg. Look very carefully and make sure that there is no part of it up into her vent (make 100% sure it isn't an organ) and you can probably lightly lift it to see if it will fall out easily.

Put the pieces together to see if it is an egg.
Thank you so much for your reply. She had several small thin poops and then that eventually passed.
It does appear to be it's like a balloon with the white of an egg inside it and it just smooshed out like a gel. She is drinking water standing somewhat uncomfortably with her behind in the air but she is calm.

I cleaned the vent and then soaked her in Epsom salt water for a few minutes to clean off the sticky stuff and she is now back in the coop drinking water and resting.

Thank you so much for the instructions. I only have 11 chickens but this has the been the first emergency and I have learned so much from you folks!

It looks like 2 shell-less egg membranes joined together. That could be a glitch, or she could have an infection or inflammation of her oviduct. I would give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D 3 orally for the next 3 days. That way, if she is laying a shell-less egg because her calcium level is low, it might help.

Another hen had a half shell less egg shortly after. Eventful day in the backyard!
I literally watched it happen. Amazing birds. Anyhow i scooped it up and that hen seems ok. Bird #2 (Ava)

Bird #1 (Violet) looks lethargic but ate and drank normally, she went to roost early, seems ok, just quiet.

I'll give her calcium and make sure the oyster shells are in several places around the run.
Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom