WHAT IS THIS??

NewChickenmama06

Songster
5 Years
Apr 5, 2019
Western Ma
My daughter found a chicken running around in the city neighborhood her boyfriend lives. She thinks it ran away. She brought it back to our house and we have her quarantined, now going on 2 weeks. She looks healthy, no lice or mites. Eating and drinking. Poop looks good. Very alert and her nose and eyes look good. In all, she so far seems healthy except for a few black spots on her right foot. She doesn't seem bothered by them at all. I just don't know what they are and before I introduce her into my flock in a few weeks, I want to know what they are. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated :D

Attachments

• 20211201_100432.jpg
    20211201_100432.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 9
My daughter found a chicken running around in the city neighborhood her boyfriend lives. She thinks it ran away. She brought it back to our house and we have her quarantined, now going on 2 weeks. She looks healthy, no lice or mites. Eating and drinking. Poop looks good. Very alert and her nose and eyes look good. In all, she so far seems healthy except for a few black spots on her right foot. She doesn't seem bothered by them at all. I just don't know what they are and before I introduce her into my flock in a few weeks, I want to know what they are. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated :D
That is probably poop or dirt. But I’m not too sure

@azygous

Those are precursors to bumblefoot, likely superficial injuries scabbed over. I would get on top of it with a fifteen minute Epsom salt soak, and peal off those scabs to be sure no infection is festering under them.

Dry the foot and spray with Vetericyn and depending on whether there is any pus under the scabs, dab on antibacterial ointment and bandage for a couple of days.

Those are precursors to bumblefoot, likely superficial injuries scabbed over. I would get on top of it with a fifteen minute Epsom salt soak, and peal off those scabs to be sure no infection is festering under them.

Dry the foot and spray with Vetericyn and depending on whether there is any pus under the scabs, dab on antibacterial ointment and bandage for a couple of days.
Oh boy, ok so first is it contagious? Second, how do I get this chicken to stay in a Epsom salt soak for 15 minutes? I have all the stuff to treat.

Put on your favorite music and get a comfortable chair. Set up the soak there with enough water to cover the feet, and place the hen in the water and hold her there. You will both be entertained by the music as you wait through her spa treatment.
Ok done. This is what was underneath the black spots. It looks fine to me, no pus or any indication of an infection, but I am still new at this. I sprayed it with the Vetericyn and put gauze on it.

Attachments

• 20211201_132955.jpg
    20211201_132955.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom