What is too cold for 5+ week old chicks?

ButtonquailGirl14

Crossing the Road
Jul 13, 2017
Northport WA
Hey Flock! I need some help here! I have some chicks that are (or almost are) 5 weeks old, I also have 2 polish chicks that look about 3 weeks old... My brooder is getting too small, and the larger chicks are flopping around, and just dying (not literally) for more space. I'm thinking about keeping the two young chicks inside, and moving the older ones outside... I just finished the run to my new Coop, but the coop isn't ready... I am wondering if I worded up a large dog kennel, and hung the heat-lamp in there if they would get to cold? It is supposed to get down to freezing this week... I could also see if my silkie would warm them? Sorry for the strung along sentences... My brain isn't working today:lau

How cold is it outside? At 5 weeks the chicks should be fully feathered and able to withstand pretty cold temperatures. If you have a heat lamp I wouldn't worry about them getting chilly, but that also depends on the temp.

How cold is it outside? At 5 weeks the chicks should be fully feathered and able to withstand pretty cold temperatures. If you have a heat lamp I wouldn't worry about them getting chilly, but that also depends on the temp.
it's 60 right now, but it's supposed to get below 34 a couple nights this week.

If it's going to be 34 I would use the heat lamp in the kennel...that's a little too cold, especially if they haven't been weaned from the lamp. About keeping it in the coop, how unfinished is it? If it's secure (from predators) and weather proof then it'll do nicely.

I put my chicks out today for the first time at between four and six weeks, but the highs are in the low eighties and the lows are in the high fifties/low sixties here.

As long as it's above freezing and they have adequate bedding (and a "coop" that is small enough for them to huddle together and conserve heat) I think they'll be okay as long as they're feathered out. If you have a heat lamp you can use, I'd probably use it until the temps get into at least the high forties at night.

I have some chicks that are (or almost are) 5 weeks old, I also have 2 polish chicks that look about 3 weeks old...

I would not separate them since pecking order will be getting stronger, reintegrating will be more difficult... especially on crested birds in my experience.

How many chicks total? :pop

Back
Top Bottom