What is your favorite quote?

Quote:
i think i'm going to start saying this
big_smile.png

i guess the one i say the most is

'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure'

or ...

'i believe in swordfish'

Great thread Silkiechicken! "Cheers" to Wolfpacker on her quote!! I think I'll go with Neitche - "That which does not destroy me makes me stronger", course I could go with a less educated one too -"whatever goes around comes around"!! Haha!!

I have two:

I know this one is already listed, but I feel like lately it's an important one to remember: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" Benjamin Franklin

And this one is a little odd, but is a quote from Henry V by W. Shakespeare:

Don Pedro: Will you have me, lady?
[pauses] Beatrice: No, my lord, unless I might have another for working-days. Your Grace is too costly to wear everyday. But I beseech your Grace to pardon me; for I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
Don Pedro: Your silence most offends me, and to be merry best becomes you; for, out of question, you were born in a merry hour.
Beatrice: No, sure, my lord, my mother cried; but then there was a star danced, and under that was I born...

(I had a really rough childhood, but at the end of the day, I try very hard to laugh in spite of it all, so this quote stuck with me.)

I can't remember where I heard this one:

Always be yourself cuz the people that matter don't mind and the people that mind don't matter.

Love this thread, there's some great ones listed! Mine is from the movie "The Usual Suspects":

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist.​

How bout a LOVE one-

If you love something set it free, it comes back its yours if it doesn't hunt it down and kill it so no one else can have it

Last edited:
I know I posted one already but here is another of my ALL TIME favorites!!!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a well presevered body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Keep your words soft & sweet, you never know which ones you'll have to eat.

My favorite poem:

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

--- Max Ehrmann, 1927

Back
Top Bottom