what kind of games do you play with your ducks?

My little flock of 3, age one month, has lately been more bonded with each other than me. It makes me sad because in their first couple of weeks they sat on my lap and ate out of my hand. Is there any way to make sure we will be bonded? Today I sat in the grass with them in their enclosure and we made some progress, but they act frightened of me when I approach them in general in this stage. I got them to be 'family members' of sorts so I want this to go well!

Mine were 19 days old in that photo when we first went snail hunting.  I used a quart container with duck crumbles combined with a funny "Har, har har" noise - shake the crumbles and make silly noise - give hand fed crumbles when they come.  Worked like a charm until they reached laying/mating age and were more bonded as a flock than to me.  At one year they still come running if I shake a container of treats but they are in a run now, otherwise they escape to the neighbors pond :)

The Hot Wheels sound hilarious!
I think my ducks are a little more bonded to each other than me now too, kinda makes me sad but it's good for.them they seem happy and I still make them hangout with me too haha I just want to pet and cuddle!

My little flock of 3, age one month, has lately been more bonded with each other than me. It makes me sad because in their first couple of weeks they sat on my lap and ate out of my hand. Is there any way to make sure we will be bonded? Today I sat in the grass with them in their enclosure and we made some progress, but they act frightened of me when I approach them in general in this stage. I got them to be 'family members' of sorts so I want this to go well! 
mine are the same way, I just make sure to pick them up a few times a day even though they hate it and try to scratch me and I'll hold each one in my lap for a while and pet their chest and head and speak calm and when they are nice and calm I'll let them down they love me when I have treats but are skeptical at first until they see that one is liking the food. They don't follow me like they use to but we're working on that with peas I drop one behind me every so many steps and they follow real well that way haha

We don't play games, really, but we go worm hunting together, and walking through the woods together.

When I crouch down and start turning over rocks,and digging around in the duff, I immediately have half a dozen Runners walking all over my hands and feet trying to get close to the action.
That is so cute! I'm going to start turning rocks over tomorrow!

mine are the same way, I just make sure to pick them up a few times a day even though they hate it and try to scratch me and I'll hold each one in my lap for a while and pet their chest and head and speak calm and when they are nice and calm I'll let them down they love me when I have treats but are skeptical at first until they see that one is liking the food. They don't follow me like they use to but we're working on that with peas I drop one behind me every so many steps and they follow real well that way haha

What kind of peas? Can, fresh, frozen. We have one, 1 week old. She was hatched by our Silkies. She is very attached to them and the Silkies fuss if we get to close. I could use a good bribe. The duck did dig its first worm today. A very proud moment for my DH.

I think my ducks are a little more bonded to each other than me now too, kinda makes me sad but it's good for.them they seem happy and I still make them hangout with me too haha I just want to pet and cuddle!

As young as they are, you still have the bond factor if you exercise it, I think. Mine are Ancona's so their personalities are different but they have Runner in their gene pool. Play follow Mama around the yard, they aren't too little unless it gets cold. Petting and cuddling went away very quickly by 4 weeks but the whole let's follow Mama continued until mating/laying.

Off to the mailbox and saying Hi to the neighbor horses -

What kind of peas? Can, fresh, frozen. We have one, 1 week old. She was hatched by our Silkies. She is very attached to them and the Silkies fuss if we get to close. I could use a good bribe. The duck did dig its first worm today. A very proud moment for my DH.
I just buy a bag or two of frozen peas and thaw a cup full in warm water for a little while, don't get canned ones they have too much salt. They definitely work mine go nuts over peas and dandelions leaves so far there is an awesome sticky called the ultimate list of treats and supplements for ducks it has so many treats you wouldn't even think of and ones to avoid and also what ages certain ones can be given. When mines were that small I would crush the pea up with my fingers before I gave it to them oh and also that is so sweet she is attached to your silkies, post some pictures when you get a chance!

Last edited:
As young as they are, you still have the bond factor if you exercise it, I think. Mine are Ancona's so their personalities are different but they have Runner in their gene pool. Play follow Mama around the yard, they aren't too little unless it gets cold. Petting and cuddling went away very quickly by 4 weeks but the whole let's follow Mama continued until mating/laying. Off to the mailbox and saying Hi to the neighbor horses -
Haha oh my they are just too adorable! My duckies don't like cuddle time very much but that's ok at least they'll still sit with me sometimes they do love swim time and I always sit by the pool with them my pekin always watches me when they are outside and I go in for a minute she's still following through the window . They cry to me when it starts to get darker out and I just read something about how they have amazing eye sight better than their hearing but the don't see as well at night. Oh and they see green blue yellow and red very vibrantly no wonder marceline trips out whenever I am moving their bright red dog house haha

Mine were super affectionate at 4 weeks then just woke up one day and acted like they didn't know us. We've been working on them and now they're loads better and come to us when I whistle and eat out of our hands and they nap near my feet. But sadly, strictly no touching.

We also play with the hose. I put it on a light spray and they love it. They try to catch it in there mouths.

As young as they are, you still have the bond factor if you exercise it, I think. Mine are Ancona's so their personalities are different but they have Runner in their gene pool. Play follow Mama around the yard, they aren't too little unless it gets cold. Petting and cuddling went away very quickly by 4 weeks but the whole let's follow Mama continued until mating/laying. Off to the mailbox and saying Hi to the neighbor horses -
That is a gorgeous photo. They are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom