What kind of paint inside the coop?

debid

Free Ranging
13 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
If I want to paint the walls inside the coop, what sort of paint should I use? I get that glossier is better for washability but is plain old interior latex going to be durable enough? Should I use an exterior grade? If it makes any difference, the coop is uninsulated and will be painted on the outside. AND, is there any reason I shouldn't then let the kids paint something cute over the plain walls with their little containers of non-toxic craft paints?

I used exterior inside and out. But interior would be fine as well.
it is far more important to prep and prime the surface and then 2 coats of a nice gloss or semi gloss.

I've been wondering about painting the inside too.
I had the (not so) bright idea last summer of making my own whitewash, which I did.
Now it looks terrible and has been splashed with poop and isn't washable at all.
Does anyone know if I can remove it enough to use some other kind of paint?
It has a powdery chalkyness to it so I'm not sure if anything will stick to it.

Inside the coop, interior paint is fine, although exterior is probably a bit better in coops that will experience rougher conditions. The big thing is to do a PROPER paintjob... clean all dust and grime and grease off surfaces, then apply thin coat of primer, then a couple thin coats of your actual paint. Skipping the primer, or doing *thick* coats of paint, will result in peely paint in relatively short order.

AND, is there any reason I shouldn't then let the kids paint something cute over the plain walls with their little containers of non-toxic craft paints?

Nope, go for it, although I'd suggest a layer of clear stuff on top to seal it if you want it to stay there thru several scrubbings.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

I wouldn't recommend white, because that's going to show dirt (etc.!) much too well. Actually, getting your children to decorate the walls with their art work is a great idea and in addition to being fun may also help camoflage the normal wear and tear of a chicken coop. Most kinds of solid color walls will show specks and stuff to the eye, but if there's a pattern or something on the wall, your eye doesn't go straight to the dirt.

We have a tile floor in our indoor birdroom that has a pattern in it. It's great! It hides the feathers, seed hulls and poop that gets slung around amazingly well. We sweep in there daily and I never cease to be amazed at how much stuff was on the floor when I take a look at what's been swept up. And yet, the floor doesn't look dirty even before sweeping.

My husband keeps wanting to replace the floor in that room but I say no way.

We used gray floor paint (I think its used for porches too) that is sooooo easy to clean! We used a primer first and then 2 coats of the paint. I just use a washcloth and don't have to scrub--just wipe. The gray is not too dark either--here's a picture:

39619_renee_feeding_treats_1_medium.jpg

I used an exterior latex on the inside and then added a varnish coat over it so everything would wipe down easily.

Back
Top Bottom