What rooster do I keep

Alicecoop

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 12, 2014
Up state NY
I have 5 porcelain D'Uccle & 4 Dominique's / leghorn they are 5 weeks old. By the looks of all the posts I see I'm not the only one impatient about finding out the sex. I am guessing like me everyone wants to keep only one rooster and doesn't want to get attached to the ones that will have to be given away. At what age will I be able to tell for sure or are we talking eggs and crowing? The D'Uccle's I can't really tell yet but the other 4 Dominique's I am sure I have 3 roosters. Here is my question, can I keep one of the dominique/leghorrn roosters or should I keep a D'Uccle rooster. I would like to keep the dominique but is that a good idea with the smaller D'Uccle hens?

If your cockerels have grown up together you can actually keep them all. Most don't because they don't have enough hens to go around! If you have land and it's not a problem to keep more than one, I would just keep them!

This is my Meyer Meal Maker in the foreground ... at first we thought it was another Dominique as it was identical to my son's Dom.... as it grew, she got a ruffled comb and I thought perhaps she is a Barred Rock instead... now we notice she has a trill instead of a chirp as her voice and I am getting concerned she may be a he... any thoughts out there? They are 4 1/2 weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom