Jaymez

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Oregon
I've recently been questioning what I feed my silkies. I normally feed laying feed and then I'll add some things like a scratch or treat mix, oyster shells, protine treats, diatomaceous earth, chick feed, and whatever fruits or veggies. But I've recently seen a lot of people talk about how they feed game bird feed, feather fixer, and black oil sunflower seeds and ect... I also heard that too much calcium from oyster shells is bad for my Roo? And that the diatomaceous earth is bad for their respiratory? I was wondering if I should switch to game bird feed and adjust what I add to it? Any advice or info would be appreciated.

I've recently been questioning what I feed my silkies. I normally feed laying feed and then I'll add some things like a scratch or treat mix, oyster shells, protine treats, diatomaceous earth, chick feed, and whatever fruits or veggies. But I've recently seen a lot of people talk about how they feed game bird feed, feather fixer, and black oil sunflower seeds and ect... I also heard that too much calcium from oyster shells is bad for my Roo? And that the diatomaceous earth is bad for their respiratory? I was wondering if I should switch to game bird feed and adjust what I add to it? Any advice or info would be appreciated.
I'm in the all flock/flock raiser camp with oyster shell on the side for layers.. DE mixed in the feed is generally considered safe. I don't mix any treat with the feed and keep all treats to less than 10%. I really don't know how silkies would handle the extra protein in game bird and the feather fixer has too much calcium for non-layers. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom