What Should I NEVER EVER Do With my Chickies?

jefra

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Utah Valley
Just wondering if there is any food or any thing I should not EVER do or give to my chickies. I have 5 ranging between 1-2 weeks. I know the basic stuff. They're in a great brooder, they're eating starter, they're getting fresh water a couple times daily, they have heat and room.

But what should I not do?

I feel like there must be something I'm going to learn the hard way. I take up their food at night (cause someone said they'll eat themselves to death?). I give em a little sand to peck at.

Anyone? Anything?

Well, one thing I never ever do is take away their food at night.
lol.png
Unless you have chicks bred as meat birds, those cross-bred broilers, you don't have to worry about chicks over eating. Normal chicks just eat as much as they want then take a nap. Or play. Or whatever. And since I use a regular light bulb it's always daytime for my chicks so they feed all night, between naps of course. Other than that, let's see....Never feed chicks layer feed until they're old enough to lay, never feed anything other than starter or grower (like treats n stuff) unless you provide a source of grit, like sand. Never leave pets or small children alone with chicks. Never let them get too cold. Never spray any kind of chemicals around them, they are very sensitive to such things. Garsh, that's all I can think of off hand. Oh yeah, if you bring treats in from outside, like grass or weeds or even bugs, be certain there's no way it can contain any kind of herbacide, insectacide, or even fertilizer. Any chemicals people use on their lawn or for insect control can kill chickens, let alone chicks. Have fun with your babies and don't worry!

ROFL! thanks! those feed store clerks - you'd think they'd know....! They do seem awfully excited to see their food in the morning!

i always leave fesh food and water for her all the time which i think is safe right?
is there a way to stop chickies knoching over their food?

Yes, until they are about a month old and have most of their feathers. I have heard too many nightmare stories about the red heat ceramic bulbs breaking or causing a fire that I just stick with inexpensive easy to find regular bulbs. But once the chicks are feathering out nicely then I turn it off at night.

Hmmm, I give my chickens milk, yogert, oatmeal made with milk, etc...

I agree with the "never give salt." Or salty things. Also potato peels are supposedly bad.

Um, other than that, chickens are pretty hardy animals and you should be just fine!

Back
Top Bottom