What size box for my new chicks???

I would try to get them in a 4 x 4ft box...to start. Of course, that wont last long, if they are a larg breed....about 2 or 3 weeks, they will outgrow that...so cardboard boxes are great, in that you can cut the sides, and add more to increase thier size. I have 19...2 week old peeps in a large crate. My hubby gets them from work. It is about 4 x 4ft....but they are outgrowing it fast. So...to the coop with a warm light...soon!

Thanks so much. Input is so appreciated, as Im new and want to be the best mom I can.
Im a bit nervous about their survival.

Ohhh, Im sure you will be a great momma!
love.gif
Just watch them....if they seem to be crowded...make the box bigger....they will let you know by thier actions....like lecking each other...peeping alot...enjoy your peeps!!

Probably not enough room for food, water, bedding, chicks, heat lamp and growing space in a shoe box, even if it's for work boots. A big appliance box or computer box would work. If all else fails, you can use a plastic storage tub with screen or mesh n top for ventilation.

well she's about 19 days old now but ok if thats what you think :|
i might give it a try
smile.png

is it good for a chick to have a supervised run outside?
hmm.png

Cookie_Chick:D

Last edited:
Outside play is great!! Especially if its warm out, and you are there to watch her, and protect her from Crows, Hawks, cats and dogs...or whatever might ALSO be watching her. Have fun with her!!

Back
Top Bottom