Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have multiple large and small flocks

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have multiple large flocks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm off the charts

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
My family and I don't eat a lot of eggs so I like keeping 5-8 chickens. Any more and my kitchen will be filled with eggs. 🤣 I currently have 7 (plus 4 ducks) and still have too many eggs during the warmer months.

My main coop is divided into 2 identical sides. Each side run is about 30 feet by 12 feet or something like that, and there is about 15 on each side. I mainly seperate my birds by size and breed, so on the left side is mostly Ameraucanas and a few other random breeds, and on the right side is a mixed flock of mostly brown egg layers. Then I have 2 large dog kennel coops in the back. One is kinda just an extra pen that I normally keep chicks in when they move outside, but right now I have my peafowl in there. Then the other dog kennel has a flock of 8 chickens so far, all seramas. I also have a barn where I have a large brooder split in half. One half has my quail, the other has my baby chicks. I haven't counted all the birds in awhile, but it's definetly over 60
Do you ever find anyone going in the wrong coop?
My family and I don't eat a lot of eggs so I like keeping 5-8 chickens. Any more and my kitchen will be filled with eggs. 🤣 I currently have 7 (plus 4 ducks) and still have too many eggs during the warmer months.
Yeah I'm giving eggs away. I think I'm going to finally start storing some for the winter when they slow down.

We currently have 9 hens and 1 cockeral. 3 older hens and 6 younger with 5 out of the 6 just started laying. We're not meant to have a cockeral but we bought it as a pullet from a breeder. I do plan on going larger later when I retire and buy a bigger block of land. Will keep a small pen of maybe a quad of pure breeds and a larger pen of 15 layers with another rooster. Sell a few culls and eggs to help pay for feed.

No, each run is fully enclosed, so they can't leave. If I let them free range only one flock goes out at a time.
Same, I free range 1/2 a day each. Some free range their flocks all day, every other. My mixed flock goes out in the a.m. and instinctively come back towards their run at 1/2 day for the most part, usually just a few stragglers I need to entice or herd. Then I let my Marans out til dark.... I'm slowly working my way towards fencing both sides of my garage so they can both free range all day.

Same, I free range 1/2 a day each. Some free range their flocks all day, every other. My mixed flock goes out in the a.m. and instinctively come back towards their run at 1/2 day for the most part, usually just a few stragglers I need to entice or herd. Then I let my Marans out til dark.... I'm slowly working my way towards fencing both sides of my garage so they can both free range all day.
I bet your Marans are great free ranging. My BCM is usually the first one out and last one in.

I bet your Marans are great free ranging. My BCM is usually the first one out and last one in.
My BCMs stick closer to the coop than the mixed flock does. But I've got crop fields on 2 sides so it's not an issue with wandering too much until the corn gets high enough the coons can move freely during daylight hours without being seen...another reason for fencing. I have Hawks and occasional Bald Eagle that passes thru so that's always a risk but thankfully no raptor attacks.....yet.
I love my boys...♥️

My BCMs stick closer to the coop than the mixed flock does. But I've got crop fields on 2 sides so it's not an issue with wandering too much until the corn gets high enough the coons can move freely during daylight hours without being seen...another reason for fencing. I have Hawks and occasional Bald Eagle that passes thru so that's always a risk but thankfully no raptor attacks.....yet.
I love my boys...♥️
This sounds alot like my surroundings. I didn't think about coons running through the corn during daylight, good point. I'm something like half way through building a 6ft fence around about 2 acres so the birds don't wander astray, then I'll be getting a LGD.

Back
Top Bottom