What substrate for an outdoor quail run?

mummyof4

Chirping
Mar 16, 2016
What substrate does everyone used for their outdoor quail run?
Inside the coop I will be using wood shavings or straw.
Our outdoor chicken run will be either bark chips or sand (undecided)
But what do quail like?
We have 30 chicks currently in the brooder as well as 48 eggs in the incubator.
Their coop/run is almost finished and we are starting to look at what to put in it.

Also what shrubs? Is there any they can’t have?

What substrate does everyone used for their outdoor quail run?
Inside the coop I will be using wood shavings or straw.
Our outdoor chicken run will be either bark chips or sand (undecided)
But what do quail like?
We have 30 chicks currently in the brooder as well as 48 eggs in the incubator.
Their coop/run is almost finished and we are starting to look at what to put in it.

Also what shrubs? Is there any they can’t have?
I use Quikrete All-Purpose-Sand from Home Depot. Is only $4.60 for 60 lb bag. My bobwhites love it, easy to remove and add back plus inexpensive. I change about every 3-4 weeks in my 8’x5’ long pen.

Started with shavings and straw, but it wasn't breaking down fast enough. Now I do dirt and yard waste (leaves, grass, wood and bark chips). Deep litter—once it gets going—is low maintenance and easy on the quail. The more birds you have, the more frequently you'll need to turn the litter over.

If you mean to plant something in the quails' run, then any plants that are safe for chickens are safe for quail.

Started with shavings and straw, but it wasn't breaking down fast enough. Now I do dirt and yard waste (leaves, grass, wood and bark chips). Deep litter—once it gets going—is low maintenance and easy on the quail. The more birds you have, the more frequently you'll need to turn the litter over.

If you mean to plant something in the quails' run, then any plants that are safe for chickens are safe for quail.
Yeah I read they like shrubs and things to hide under so was going to plant some in there for them.

Back
Top Bottom