What the heck.....3 girls have bumblefoot!!?!!

blueberrychickens

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Hudson, MA
DH noticed the other day that one of the girls was limping. That girl had decided July was the time to go BROODY...(ugh) so today before work I dunked her in the bucket of cold water in an attempt to break her of the broodiness. While I had her confined to the bucket, I took a closer look at her foot. One of them is swollen w/ a large abcess,
sickbyc.gif
the other just has the black spot on it, w no swelling. So I thought it would be wise to check the other girls & lo & behold, 2 other girls have the begining of bumble foot.
barnie.gif

So off to the store for some first aid supplies, epsom salts, vet wrap etc......
From what I've read on here, I need to soak their feet in the epsom salts, trying to get the black scab off, wrapping the foot up w/ some anti biotic cream on it & vet wrap. Is there anything else I need to do? I have the broody girl separated in a dog crate for now. Should the other 2 be separated too??
& I thought I was going to go on vacation tmrw.......
th.gif

Oh wow......I know I need to do this, but I might toss my cookies if I do!
sickbyc.gif
I will give it a try on Thurs when we get back from the mini vacation. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, I did it today. I only did one foot today. I didn't want to over stress her. I didn't see any cheesy stuff or any plug. Got the main calloused part off, squeezed the foot, nothing came out. Put on a bandage w/ antibiotic cream & hopefully she's gonna be ok. I'll do the other foot later in the week.

Back
Top Bottom