What the heck came out of my chicken?! Officially concerned!

SunriseChickers

Feather Fluffer
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Nov 12, 2018
Ohio
Opened the coop this morning to find this thing. What the heck? I have three hens, one rooster. They haven't laid recently, probably because I haven't kept up on getting them their oyster shells recently(no layer pellets because of the rooster), I don't know if it has anything to do with the reproductive tract. Though my oldest, who's about four or five, a white rock, did lay a few soft shelled eggs last fall. The other hens are only about 2. I really don't know what it is. Excrement? Something to do with egg production? It was under the roost where they poop. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Said thing:

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_083758288.jpg
    IMG_20220317_083758288.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 14
In all characteristics? There's a lash egg with very similar looking visual traits in the article linked.
Can you cut it open?
Yes, it does appear to be a lash egg. It has those onion-like layers in it. It's all just varying shades of white and yellow, I didn't find any shell in it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by the cleanliness of the coop, since unfortunately because of freezing I haven't been able to clean it out all winter. I guess today's the day then.
I'm pretty certain it's from my oldest. What can be done? Anything other than antibiotics? I got a lash egg last fall that I thought was from her, as well. At the time I checked all of them for signs of it and they seemed to be fine. Granted I've lost a couple hens to predators since then, it may have been from one of them the first time.

Yes, it does appear to be a lash egg. It has those onion-like layers in it. It's all just varying shades of white and yellow, I didn't find any shell in it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by the cleanliness of the coop, since unfortunately because of freezing I haven't been able to clean it out all winter. I guess today's the day then.
I'm pretty certain it's from my oldest. What can be done? Anything other than antibiotics? I got a lash egg last fall that I thought was from her, as well. At the time I checked all of them for signs of it and they seemed to be fine. Granted I've lost a couple hens to predators since then, it may have been from one of them the first time.
As far as I know, the methods of treatment mentioned in the article I linked are pretty much the only courses of action. :(

As far as I know, the methods of treatment mentioned in the article I linked are pretty much the only courses of action. :(
Hmm, I see. :( Not sure what to do then, I don't think I could get my hands on any antibiotics. And if I did I'm not sure it would be really worth it since she's already "old" and hasn't been laying for over a year already... I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom