What to do if you have two Cockerels

Pics
Some people apparently have roosters with hens that get along peacefully. I wish that had been the case for us, but while our roosters were fine together when they were young, that stopped as they matured. We had to form two separate groups so that the roosters could not fight each other. Be prepared, when roosters fight, it can get very bloody. One of ours even almost blinded the other in one eye (but still neither one became submissive). I hope that yours stay friendly with each other, but brace yourself and decide what you will do, because it could go either way. And when they need separating, they need it immediately.

They'll let you know if it's time to rehome one of them. Just don't expect them to not behave like roosters, that is to say, they very probably will fight at least once or twice, it's rooster nature, and they will usually settle the problem between themselves, especially as their brothers. Hopefully you'll have enough hens so there's less hassling over access to hens. If they refuse to settle it and continue fighting then it will be time to pick between them and rehome one.
I seldom have more than one simply because I like my neighbors too well. My avatar picture is of one of my rare roosters, sadly I had to rehome him because of his very loud crow. He was waking the neighborhood at 3 am every morning....

So I have a sinking suspicion that instead of the one male I ordered, I think I have two. They are 7 1/2 weeks, but they both have similar tails which seem longer than the girls and less broad. Both have what seem to
Be bigger combs starting too. My question is, is the only answer to rehome one? Or is there anyway they can coexist? I’m quite fond of both, but want to do the right thing here. I have never had to rehome an animal, but these are also my first chickens lol
Well wait a while rehoming one is hard on That chicken even if it is a roo....that one looks like a hen tho?

Some people apparently have roosters with hens that get along peacefully. I wish that had been the case for us, but while our roosters were fine together when they were young, that stopped as they matured. We had to form two separate groups so that the roosters could not fight each other. Be prepared, when roosters fight, it can get very bloody. One of ours even almost blinded the other in one eye (but still neither one became submissive). I hope that yours stay friendly with each other, but brace yourself and decide what you will do, because it could go either way. And when they need separating, they need it immediately.
We have two, one is a special needs guy...he had a problem hatching and he has a limp, matured very slowly and is probably the most clumsy Roo ever ☺️ The boys did fight and Ivan (was Ivy til he crowed) did submit..his wounds have healed and yes they will fight to the death..

I have 2 flock mate Roos, just over a year old now. We started out with 5 but between giving one away, one got killed in the small coop and just free range attrition, we ended up a year later with 2 boys and 3 girls. There is definitely an Alpha and Beta. Obviously 3 hens isn’t enough but the only problem we had was 2 girls got rode close to baldness Before I got the saddles on them. We had previously gotten 5 more chicks when the numbers were dwindling last year (free range with a new flock that has no one to learn from) and Beta made his own flock with the new girls- still no issues with the 2 small flocks living in the same small coop. Fast forward another 7 months and we have 10 new chicks with our original 5 flock. Couple weeks ago we had a change of power and Beta beat the snot out of Alpha but because being free range they have room to run and generally don’t seem to kill each other. But he looked rotten for about a week and his demeanor completely changed. He’s currently a bit of an outlier, not with the young chicks (although he sleeps inside the coop with them) and usually found just outside the adult flock during the day. One hen has remained loyal to him though and can be found paling (sp?) around with him. So it’s possible to keep them both if free ranging is an option. The only time one got killed for sure by another male was inside the coop when he couldn't’ get away. I wish you the best, they are all entertaining.
The Roos can get very protective of their girls and while docile and friendly now, may see you as part of his flock and try to side step you to where he wants you to go. If you feed treats - and dont’ give him the first one he will see you as a threat And trying to lure his girls away. They have a tendency to attack when you are occupied or have your back turned. There are people who tell you to get rid of them at that point, but I’m still only at my first year and we dont’ have kids. So we manage. If you keep his alpha role in tact you should be able to have a compatible relationship with them. Every once in a while we have to remind our boy (either one) that we are not to be trifled with. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you so much for the info! I love this forum. Everyone is so helpful!

[/QUOTE

For the safety of both birds, I do have a backup plan and someone who will take one if need be.

If they are raised together, they should be fine. I have a whole pack of roosters and they get along fine. Occasionally, a small scuffle over a hen has broken out. I break it up and that usually ends it.
if you have enough hens, at least 10 for each rooster, you will be fine. If you have less than 20 hens, you should probably have one or two of the roosters housed separately.

Back
Top Bottom