The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
Please help!

I have SEVEN female ducks and the one drake.

I have no idea why, but the drake picks on just one of the ducks, he is fine with all the rest. This one picked on duck keeps running away from the drake but he keeps catching her and ripping out her neck feathers. All of the feathers on the back of her neck and upper back (right next to the neck) have all of the feathers ripped out. She looks awful!

The drake is a blue Swedish. My ducks are 2 blue Swedish and 5 Khaki Campbells. The picked on one is a Khaki Campbell.

Is there anything I can do besides eat the drake?

THANK YOU!

She is a favorite or he doesn't like her.

You can try separating him with a couple of the other ducks.
It will give him a chance to get to know the others and give the poor picked on one a break.

HUM, I have a Drake that picked on one of my females...and then my CHICKENS....so he has been separated to another pen.
sad.png

Is he on top of her while he's 'picking on her'? If so, he's got his favorite mate!
lol.png

The feather ripping happens when one duck is bred too often by a bigger/more active drake.

When I had my khaki drake Jack, he had his favorites (Janet & Lana) and he ALWAYS picked on Chrissy. He chased her away from food, he chased her away from treats, and he would bite her for no reason. She was the low status duck and he was just a real jerk to her.

She is a bit of an odd duck, so I am guessing it is a genetics/flock protection thing. Since Janet died and I sold Jack & Lana, Chrissy is still the low status duck in the flock even though she is over a year old and Uno is only 2 months and Bungie is 3 months. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, but at least Uno and Bungie aren't mean to her.

when I was watching yesterday, I never saw him try to mate her.

He would just chase her and then bite at her neck and rip the feathers out.

I haven't seen anyone else pick on her.

She doesn't look any different then the other Khakis. Uhm, she is still molting, but one other Khaki is also molting at the same stage that she is.

Bummer.

So this isn't likely a stage or anything?

It will keep on going?

Back
Top Bottom