What To Do...

Djmiller012

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Tabor, IA
I just got my chicks yesterday at about 3:30 and they are very adorable, but how do I get them to like me and be unscared? This is my second time raising chicks and the ones from last year are not friendly, and I want this batch to be human trained...any suggestions? Some practical advice would be helpful!!
Thanks! Devin

umm, I have 1 bronze turkey, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 White leghorns, and 2 New Hampshire Reds...and they are so cute!

THANKS!
big_smile.png

Hold them, hold them, hold them. Repeat. Over and over and over again. Every single day.
big_smile.png

Talk softly to them, make purring or soft clucks while you lightly pet them (WITH the feathers, not against them!). Use your hand like a momma chicken and peck at the feed while clucking, scratch the bedding around a little. They will immitate you and imprint on you! My hub used to think the kids and I were silly for constantly holding the chicks, but now at 4 weeks old, they RUN to us! They fly onto our laps, roost on our shoulders, play with our hair, and several of them have made a habit of "tattling' on everyone else and are very vocal with us! Now on warm days when we can let them out into the yard, they follow us around in little lines! When we stop, they'll explore a little and run back to us when we call them or they get scared. They never go far at all and when we walk back, they follow us in line again! My hub laughs and says its the craziest thing he's ever seen!
tongue.png

I too, have pondered this question. I spend time with the chicks(2 weeks old), only to watch them plaster themselves against the far side of the cage, I offer some of their starter in my hand, only to watch them plaster themselves against the far side of the cage, I chirp and cheep and cluck at them, only to watch them plaster themselves against the far side of the cage....sigh...I suppose if I keep at it they will sooner or later resign themselves to living with the crazy lady and figure me for a harmless old bat...what I don't understand is they make the loudest chirps when they cannot see me, and stop as soon as they see me. Either they are content in my presence, or they are thinking, "if we be quiet maybe she'll forget we're here...."

On the good side, my OTHER chicks that are 6 weeks old (2 black sex-links and 3 white rocks)are a little friendlier. Of the five 6 week olds, one stands out(black sex-link). I had to separate her from the rest due to pecking- the other 4 swear she's a meanie! But this one that is separated is the most personable of the bunch. Such a sweetheart. She seems to prefer my company to that of the other chickens. She runs to the door when she sees me headed that way, she cheeps and chirps, she hops on my hand...I don't get it. I suppose chickens have very distinct personalities just as people and other pets do.

I'm betting that there will always be some in the flock that are just not 'people' chickens. Just as there will be some that really make having them worthwhile.

Thanks guys, that really helps me out! And when i pick them up they squak and chirp and wont quit until they are put back in the cage...and its almost like they wont ever be trained, just sit outside and do nothing, but i dont want that...i want them to crawl on me and be my friends, so ill try out all the advice you gave me, it was helpful!
Thanks!

Dj......try a little hard boiled egg....NO SHELLS...just the egg, and offer it to them in your hand...they will learn that GOOD things come from the hand....I can even put my hand in the brooder, without being attacked! LOL Just dont over do the treats, they need thier starter feed. Have fun!

Quote:
Thats what justusnak means. Make sure they a boiled. Never feed a chicken raw eggs. Also, I would stop feeding them hard boiled eggs once the are 2 months old. It won't hurt them, I just don't like the idea of feeding eggs to possible egg layers. DON'T let them have any shells!

Back
Top Bottom