What to feed chickens during Pesach (Passover)

So I saw you guys are Jewish. I need some advice on my Gefilte Fisch! It’s urgent. Can I use chickpea flour instead of Matzo flour? It needs to be prepared before my younger brother comes home tomorrow afternoon, otherwise he will ruin it. Shabes starts in 20 minutes. I personally have no problem working on Saturday, but the shops do.

Oh btw, I thought you would be delighted to know that here in Israel, they sell kosher feed in 25 kg bags. It’s not even in a special place, just the feed place, called a Silo, where they mix all the grains and powders to make animal feed. I just bought a bag a few hours ago.

That must be easier than having to get diverse things and mixing them up. I usually get cracked corn and dried mealworms from the feed store and matzoh, peanuts and sunflower seeds from the supermarket to mix in. Also get canned chickpeas and other stuff on sale as a side, along with all sorts of veggie peelings. Sorry it's too late to give the gefilte fish recipe for this past Shabbos, but you can make it easily without matzoh meal. If you need to go by a recipe, google non-gebrochts gefilte fish recipe and you will get a bunch.

None of the five grains in this one. Not a complete feed, but a decent supplement.

Attachments

• 1680658275754.png
    1680658275754.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
Here we are again... pesach 5783 is a mere month away!!

What can we give:

Quail - newly hatched as well as fully grown

Ducks

==>I need to feed everyone a DRY feed so I can prepare it in the hoppers and they'll survive the week I'm away.

What can I get easily, keep it simple not too many ingredients, perhaps not ideal but they'll survive...

Can I just make a mix of corn meal, soybean meal and buckwheat? Will ducks as well as quail of different ages even eat it? And will they survive?

Thanks!!
I realize I'm too late for this year, but I recommend getting in touch with your local fish market, drying out the carcasses, blitzing them up, and adding to corn and sunflower seeds.
Truth is, aside from newly hatched birds, they probably won't keel over and die after a week of only corn. Historically, poultry was fed off of whatever was available. Obviously, however, we all want to do the best we can for our hard working hens.

I’m envious of you all only needing to be doing this for 8 days a year, I have to avoid any physical contact with the same list of foods for the rest of my days and also can’t consume any foods that have been grown or processed in the same place as them.
If you’re in America there are pre mixed pellets available there now that do not contain these problematic ingredients and are suitable for chickens but you would need to add protein if feeding quail. I’m in the U.K. so am making do with what I have available here, mostly pseudo grains, seeds, seaweed, and bugs. I’ll have a look now for the brand that I was recommended and edit this post when I find it.
https://reedyforkfarm.com/organic-soy-free-gluten-free-layer-feed

Last edited:
As a Gentile, I'm truly puzzled. I know Jews were obligated to remove leavening (yeast, fermentation) from their homes during Passover, but when (and why) did it become a requirement to remove all grains as well? Thank you.

What an interesting thread! I would have never known this was even a thing (being non-Jewish). I respect the amount of work and dedication required to observe and practice your Faith.
You guys rock!

So y’all don’t feed normal chicken feed during Passover? My family and I have questioned what to feed our animals during the feast week

Back
Top Bottom